The Trial: Day One

~Two Days Later ~
|The City of Chicago Vs Mason King|

I could hear Maddi's foot steps, running downstairs.

"Jess mom said you're gonna be late if you dont hurry up" she stood with her hands on her waist.

"Court doesn't start until ten Maddison, its like twelve minutes after seven"

"Do you know how you're gonna fix your hair?"

"No"

"Have you showered yet?"

"No"

"Picked out an outfit yet?"

"No"

"See" she said rolling her eyes sounding just like Chloe.

"Okay firstly, I'm gonna take a shower right now, second I'm gonna wear Chloes Royal blue and gold blazer. I have a tan skirt that'll go good with that" I stood up from the kitchen counter placing Chloes coffee mug inside the sink. If she were here she would slap the hell out of me, I think she loved this cup more than she loved me.

This week was going to be hectic with prom, funerals and Masons trial. Today was the first day. Day one of hell, day one of possibly the last few days he may have as a free man. I still wasn't speaking to him.

Things have been crazy lately, one minute i miss him then the next I hate him with every bone in my body.

The evidence we had that would've made all of this go away was taken away. The store didn't have a copy because Chloe and I ran out of there. Had we stayed just a little while longer, had I not vomited from feeling upset, had I not eaten that pretzel. Had I not gotten involved with Mason. So many things could've been avoided and done better, but the one thing we could never get back in life is time.

                                  **********

"Psspp... Chelsea" I flagged my bestfriend down as she entered the court room. She looked nervous as hell walking in my direction.

"Hey, girl those people almost didn't let me in"

"Well your names on the list as a witness, they wouldnt have had a choice but to let you in"

"Yeah You're right"

As Taya and Tariq made their way over to our row of seats, I noticed two familiar faces.

"Chelsea, is that Samanthas parents ?" I asked and we both looked back to them.

"Oh wow, yeah it is"

Its been a week since they found Sams body floating in the South side of the Chicago River. Her throat was sliced and she suffered from blunt trauma to the head. Her body was in that water for over three days before they actually found her. Her funeral is scheduled for this week Saturday and word was that they wasn't having an open casket. Im guessing her body was already beginning to decompose.

I couldn't imagine what they were feeling. Losing two daughters, both so young. Samantha and I had our differences but she didn't deserve that, nobody does. There wasn't any suspects yet, her phone and keys are still missing. Nobody knows how, when or why someone would do this to her.