Awards Night

Masons POV

Vanessa's been staying in my pool house for the past few nights since her accident. I didnt intend to bring her here but she begged me too once the doctors cleared her to go home.

Funny thing is, we never spoke about what happened after the trip. She just left me alone. Stopped hitting me up, stopped asking for sex or trying to be with me and I was okay with that.

Devon and I was on our way to my house for drinks when we passed her car which was flipped over. We're still looking for the guy that hit her but to no avail as yet.

Ray's been calling me alot from prison lately. I dont know how he found out or even knew anything about Jessica and I. Ive been careful and cautious about what I say and do around her. He hasn't said anything but he's been hinting that I maybe fooling with his babygirl. He hasnt threaten me but he's given me a few choice of words that I didnt take lightly. He's the main reason I keep pushing her away.

Ive been watching Jess from the day I started working at Chi-High Prep. Not because I wanted to, but because I was instructed to. Raymond Jones sponged my record many years ago when I was running around hanging with an old gang.

We went around robbing stores and anyone who came around our block. Getting into street fights. Mason King wasn't always a good guy, Ive smoked drugs and even tried selling it for a while. That was until I got caught and Mr Jones cleaned my record under the table. Keep in mind, he was a dirty cop and instead of arresting me like he did with most of the young niggas I grew up with, he wiped everything away. To this day I still don't know why.

I left many of my old friends behind because of my record being wiped away. Most of them ended up dead or in jail. However, I was able to get a scholorship and go off to play ball professionally. Becoming more successful than anyone I knew.

When I decided to retire, I got a bunch of written letters from Chicago State Prison. When I opened them, I was shock to know that Ray was in prison. Apparently he was in there for a couple of years over a drug bust and somebody ratted on him. He lost his position, his job and family.

His wife took everything and fled. I didnt know he had an outside daughter until I read through his letters. He reminded me of what he did for me out of the kindness of his heart when he cleaned my record. He used that as his way of getting me to watch and protect her. Nobody knew he had a daughter besides me. If people got word that Jessica Jones was Raymond Jones daughter, they would have her head on a stick.

Most of his letters started off with him congratulating me, asking how I've been over the past few years. I wrote him back thanking him for pushing what i did under the table, he basically gave me my second chance at life. But as time went on he started with small demands here and there. Making me look at her grades, ensuring that she got into some sort of extra curricular activity and stayed away from boys. But then he really started cracking down on me.

He wanted to know her whereabouts, where she lived, where she worked. It wasn't a coincidence I went to Cheetah's that night a few months back. It was intentional, I had to see for myself what she did so I could inform him. If he had known she auditioned and was hired as a stripper in my club he would turn the City of Chicago over. Thats why I immediately fired her and never told him about it. He didn't like the outfit Cheetah's had her wearing so I gave him my word that once my restaurant was up and running, I would hire her.

She doesn't know who her father is but he'll be getting out pretty soon and I don't want to be in his bad books. So whoever been calling Jess and scaring her better stop before they cost both of our asses.

Ray isnt someone you wanna fuck with. Even behind bars he's still running illegal businesses. I wont ever have his name affiliated with my shit, ever, period. I was hesitant on even getting too close with Jess, but after spending so much time with her and hiring her to watch my son, seeing how mature and grown she was, not to mention how beautiful she is. I honestly found myself catching feelings for her and I hated it because I had one job and I started to fail at it.