Chapter 48

A/N: This is a triple update, so make sure to read the first one before this!
————
Harry's POV

January had been a long month. It started with me going to L.A, which made Camille extremely happy. However, not much of my time was spent with her. I did not stay at her house, although I stayed in a house nearby. My explanation was that "I needed to work for the next album at late hours". I almost always found ways to escape and make other plans, and I knew it was becoming an issue for her. She was just too scared to bring it up, hoping that if she just let it be then maybe I would come around. She was doing her best to make it work. I, on the other hand, did nothing at all and I knew that she kept telling herself that this was just a rough patch. I knew it wasn't fair of me, but perhaps we would get out of it. Either way, I didn't care right now.

I woke up to the sound of a text. Still laying on my back in bed, I reached for my sunglasses and phone. The first hour in the morning nowadays always called for wearing sunglasses, indoors or outdoors didn't matter. All my body needed was that hour to recover from the night before and its now usual, unhealthy routine- and the sunglasses helped with that.

Tom: No need to make coffee for us, right?

To be honest, my usual ways of bringing coffee had totally slipped my mind, but as I now rushed to get ready from oversleeping, I knew I couldn't come empty-handed.

I liked to pretend that the only reason for me stepping into the familiar blue and yellow café on my way to Tom's was because I happened to stay close by. But the feeling of nostalgia overcoming me said otherwise. I hadn't been here since, so when I stood in line, I couldn't help myself glancing over to the corner table. The scene of us being so ecstatic in each other's presence, stumbling over our turns to speak out of excitement to get the other person to tell more, only wanting every detail from the other. It was simply the shadow of two people, sitting across from each other, asking to know the other and getting all giddy when the opportunity presented itself that I saw at the corner of the café.

"What can I get you?" The barista brought me back from my illusion. I turned to meet her gaze.

"Two coffees to go please, thank you." I smiled politely, stepping up to the counter.

"I'm sorry, but the coffee's out. Our order was too late, so we've run out of it. Can I get you anything else?" The sweet girl behind the counter explained.

I fought the scoff that tried to escape me so that I wouldn't seem rude. It was just that her way of phrasing it was way too ironic, funnily enough matching perfectly to the theme of the last few months if you read between her lines.

"I'm good." I shook my head, "thank you though." I spoke over my shoulder as I waved bye and began to walk for the exit.

The day was slow. We did a couple of songs, but none of them really stuck. I now laid looking back up at the ceiling from the sofa, dangling my feet over the edge of the armrest. Tom sat in his chair on the other side of the coffee table, humming a part of some lyrics we had come up with. I tried my best to concentrate, but as I said, nothing really stuck.

"Tom!" Jenny shouted from the top of the stairs, "You need to go and get the kids from school!"

Tom immediately dropped his notebook on the coffee table, and I looked over at him after Jenny's stressed reminder.

"Shit." He cussed lowly to himself, "I'm on my way!" He stood up and moved to turn off all the equipment we had used. I almost giggled at the effect Jenny had on him, and him lying to her about him already having half a foot out. I knew Jenny didn't buy it, but at least it made Tom feel better.