Chapter 7

It was a fight between me, the wind and the umbrella as the other two didn't want to collaborate with me. I was struggling to keep the umbrella protecting me from getting hit by the pouring rain as the wind tried to grab it from me. My energy was already low as I had just got off from work and was on my way to Max's. For once we were going to hang out at her place and not the bar.

I pushed the door code and walked up the stairs to her flat, ringing the doorbell. From the other side of the door I heard Max shouting, but not exactly what she was saying. I tried the handle and the door opened. Immediately I saw her standing in her small kitchen frying something in the pan. On a scale of one to ten, I would not rate the smell over a five. Max wasn't famous for her cooking, but at least she tried.

"Hi there!" I leaned against the wall in the small hallway to try and keep my balance as I took off my wet mary janes. She gave me a wave from over the shoulder whilst continuing concentrating on not ruining the food even more. Just as I approached her she took her first glance at me.

"Uhh... You look like a wet dog." She sassed at me with raised eyebrows and a pull on her lips. I inspected myself, even though I knew what she was talking about.

"Come here." My arms embraced her in a tight hug. She tried protesting by squealing and pulling one of her shoulders to her neck and ear. A sly giggle escaped from my mouth which only made her turn in my grip more, surely not happy about my gloating.

"Bibs! The bloody food!?" She shouted and I let go of her. In a try to save it she flipped the veggie patty, that was now a burned veggie patty. Her shoulders fell with a sigh.

"You've ruined it now..." Max gave me a side eye and moved the pan from the stove.

"Mhm, I ruined it." With sarcasm in my tone I took the blame. Moving away from the stove and sitting by the kitchen table I looked up the phone number to her nearest sushi place.

"Sushi?" I suggested, despite me already knowing the answer. I took the phone to my ear with the signals beeping into it.

"Sushi." Max confirmed before adding, "I can just save this for Casper." she snorted, knowing full well that even if she didn't burn it, it would be questionable to even serve it to anyone.

Our pants were unbuttoned after all the food we had stuffed our faces with. We were only chit chatting when her phone lit up with a text message. She brushed it off since it only was Casper and flipped her phone to not see the screen anymore.

"So how is everything between you and Casper?" The question and change of subject felt natural with his text interrupting us. After the conversation I had with him I still hadn't heard anything from Max. I didn't feel like it was right to ask Casper about it again either. Max dragged a hand through her silky dark straight hair and flipped it over to one side.

"We have never been better, but at the same time we have never been worse." She looked down and dragged her mouth to one side while distracting her thoughts by starting to play with the chopsticks.

"What do you mean?" I challenged, knowing full well what she really meant. But I was curious if she was going to tell me or if she still wasn't ready. Maybe she just needed a helping hand?

"I need to talk to you about something." And I was right, the helping hand helped. Her chestnut eyes glimpsed at me and I made sure to give a gentle return.

"Okay." I simply stated to not scare her away with a specific underlying feeling. I made an attempt to lean forward in my seat to show that I was devoted to this conversation, but the food coma I was in made it difficult to move.