Chapter 3

"No Bibs, you look amazing. You are not having one of those days." Jack tried to reassure me as I leaned him and my phone against the big mirror on the floor of my flat. I had spent the last 20 minutes with him on FaceTime complaining about having a 'nothing-looks-good-and-I-feel-ugly' kind of day. We were both going out tonight, but he was headed for an event and it was 30 minutes left till Grimmy and his uber picked me up. Instead of fighting Jack over this feeling I had I raised the glass of red wine to my lips, trying not to smudge the orange lipstick. A big sigh escaped my lips as I stood up and walked over to the little nook I called closet. It pretty much flooded out clothes and it was just about impossible to close it. One of my true loves were clothes, and more specifically second hand and vintage shopping.

"Take me with you!" Jack shouted from behind me as I once again tried to pick out an outfit that would now be option number six.

"You can literally see me? Plus, there is nothing to see in this mess of a closet I have!" I screamed out in frustration as I, not figuratively, dove my head through the door with seeping clothes. From the chaos I picked out a black, chill kind of corset with thick straps, it looked more like a body than a corset. That, tucked into my sleek black high-raised flared suit trousers, I knew would frame my figure perfectly and give me the silhouette I was after. I stood behind the open door so Jack wouldn't see me changing into it before I took the catwalk back to my phone and, what I thought would be only Jack. However I now heard two voices.

"Wowza!" Jack offered me his sixth compliment. Clearly he was running out of ways to hype me up.

"Yeah! You look ready to steal people's hearts tonight." Max's voice echoed from her wine glass.

"I wish... I don't feel stunning and Grimmy will be here in twenty." I barely managed to finish my sentence before I got a lecture from Max.

"No Bibs, this is just your nerves talking. And also, you meet celebs everyday so I don't understand what is making you so anxious?" I picked them up and took another sip. I knew that the more alcohol I had managed to consume before Nick's arrival the better I would feel when I jumped in the uber.

"Yes I am used to meeting celebs... at work! Or in other work environments. And it is not about that-" Except it absolutely was. "- It is about me looking and feeling like absolute shit." Which it also was about.

"Well I don't believe you are having one of those days, you look amazing." Max guaranteed me, but before I could answer her Jack beat me to it.

"Yeah, that's what I said." And I smiled happily to the sight of my best friends drinking wine with me through a screen.

Me and Max had known each other the longest. I only met Jack little over a year ago when I was invited to a music event through work. He had simply gone to it just to build up relations with important people and work on his personal brand. Just standing in front of a camera as a model was not enough, you had to be relevant and stay relevant. Obviously he had hoped I was someone worth knowing to broaden his network of 'important people', which clearly wasn't the case. That night we started chatting over a glass prosecco that later led to a bottle. Since then we have shared several glasses and bottles of prosecco together. We had too much fun that night to not keep in touch. I then introduced him to Max. Max was someone I met when I was at uni. Both of us were in a transmedia storytelling class and found each other. When I introduced Jack to Max I thought they would hit it off as more than friends, turned out I was wrong. They hit it off, but just not to that extent. A couple of months later she met Casper, and the duo of me and Max had become a quartet.

I finished my glass of wine as I packed the last things in my bag. Five minutes before Nick was expected to arrive I slipped into the oversized vintage leather jacket and Mary Janes then started saying goodbye to my favourite duo.