Chapter 4: Thank You

The birds chirped outside as the rain poured down. On the streets below the market was still bustling despite the terrible weather. I groaned and rubbed my eyes before stretching and sitting up in bed wiping my hand across the window, which was fogged up with condensation, so I could look outside.

'Ugh... What time is it?' I thought to myself before swinging my legs off the bed and wandering sleepily into the bathroom and splashing water onto my face. I looked at myself in the mirror my hair tousled from sleep.

"Is today Wednesday? Or is it Thursday?" I asked my reflection as if my sleep deprived self would respond. I scratched my head and then walked back into my room dragging my feet as I went. After getting dressed I picked up my watch from my beside table taking note of the time for the first time that morning.

"NO!! nonononono!" I screeched realising I had missed the coach to work. I hurriedly put on my cardigan and ran down the stairs and out the door into the damp morning air. I sprinted quickly through the streets dodging people as I ran hoping and praying that I could still make it on time.

I pushed open the door to Berg Newspapers 20 minutes late and stood panting heavily in the doorway, my clothes soaked through from the rain that had only become heavier the further I ran.

"Well, thats a new record." Roy walked out from behind the counter looking at his watch.
"20 minutes y/n. Really? This is the fifth time this month. This really is the last time before I tell you to sling your hook, you know that?" Roy was a kind and patient man but it seemed as though he'd had enough of me oversleeping and missing practically half the day.

"I'm so sorry Roy! I don't know what's wrong with me. I just can never seem to sleep right lately and then I end up oversleeping and missing the coach and I have to run here and I-" I babbled hoping he'd forgive me like he had everytime before.

"Just stop. Enough is enough. I've been lenient on you because you're a talented young lady but this is the last time. Be late again and I'll have no choice but to employ someone else." Roy turned and went back to the printing press where another employee was painting the plate with ink ready to print more papers.

I peeled the dripping cardigan from myself and placed it on a hook by the fireplace that roared at the back of the room. I walked over to my desk and sat down opening up my journal and beginning to form yet another article. Despite rushing to make up my lost time I continually checked my watch until the sound I had waited for arrived.
The bell above the door tinkled as it was pushed open. I stood up abruptly and turned towards the sound.

"Mornin' Roy! Mornin' Y/n!" The postal worker called out as he placed a large envelope on side table that sat close to the door and held out a smaller letter towards me.
"Here ya' are, this is what you're so eager to get your hands on, right? I made sure it didn't get even the slightest bit moist on its journey."

"Thanks, Stefan. I really appreciate that." I took the letter from his hand and looked down at the handwriting that graced it's envelope as my finger traced the seal on its underside. In that moment I decided, that despite its rocky start, today would be a good day.

After Stefan left and Roy had opened up his own mail and returned to the press once again, I carefully opened the letter. As I did so a small flower tumbled out onto my desk. It's stem was thin and brittle and was adorned with small white bells, pressed flat and dried as to preserve its beauty. I picked up the delicate flower cautiously so as not to crush it and admired it in the palm of my hand. A small smile crept into my lips and my cheeks warmed with blush as I placed it back down and began to read the letter.

As I read Erwin's words seemed to flow off the paper and dance around the room filling my heart with joy. Finally, I had found someone who seemed to understand what I was going through. And even better than that, he agreed to be pen pals so I'd be able to continue writing for pleasure instead of just for work. It seemed as if both of us had many things that weighed on us and I hoped this blossoming friendship would bring peace into both of our lives.

However, I couldn't help but worry. Not only about the prospect of getting too close to Erwin but also that he might get in the way of the true purpose of me contacting him in the first place. Getting information.