Chapter 69: War

I continued to fight my way through the blazing building.  Smoke filling my lungs and choking me. I imagined this is what the inside of Zekes' body must feel like on a daily basis. I hoped that Eren was coping okay with keeping Reiner distracted although that didn't mean that I wished him harm. Despite the role he had played in Stefan's death, he was still my friend, still a man with a wounded inner child.

I reached the door to Hange's lab the heat of the fire making my back red hot as it crept further up in the building.
I pounded on the door.

"Hange Zoë if you're alive you better open this goddamn door now before my ass becomes toast you hear?"

No reply

"I swear to god if you're just sat there while the building literally burns around you I will lose it." I shoved my weight against the door cracking it.

"Right. Fuck this." I muttered pushing the door where it cracked and forcing my hand through to open it from the other side grazing along my arm causing the skin to peel up and begin to bleed. The door swung open to reveal a messy office-turned lab space. I surveyed the room the smoke following me in rapidly from the doorway.

A mattress had been set up in the corner where what could only be described as a mound of blankets moved up and down in a regular breathing pattern.

"You're actually fucking kidding me." I muttered storming over and pulling Hange up out of their bed.
"Hange. Wake up. The building is on fire and both you and I are about to be barbequed if we dont leave right now."

"Eh? Oh y/n! Good to see you. Sorry, I'm just really drowsy.... let's get going then." They yawned rubbing their eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Erwin took a deep breath nodding to Levi to assemble his squad. He used his metallic arm to motion for Armin to come over to him.

"Yes, Commander? What is it?" The young blonde asked.

"I need you to listen carefully Arlert." The commander's voice sounded grave despite him trying to sound calm. 
"We've received casualty reports and we need to end this now. Though as I'm sure you can tell it's not looking likely that it will be any time soon. So, I will be riding out to attempt to gain a cease-fire. Thus resulting in a draw." 

"I understand Sir. But with all due respect what does this have to do with me?" Armin wasnt sure he wanted to know the answer

"Arlert. Ever since you first joined the scouting legion your intelligence and bravery have been unfounded. Despite how unorthodox this may seem. I'd like to put you in charge of deciding future manoeuvres of troops both while I am gone and if I am not to return." Erwin hoped he was making the right decision but he didnt have another choice realistically

"But Commander I-"

"Trust your head. Have faith in your abilities and you'll know what to do." He stared down at the boy from atop his horse. He saw himself in Armin's eyes and it was this that gave him hope that he could succeed.

"Listen up!" Levi called out to the rest of the group that were scattered in the trench. "Arlert is in charge. You report to him. And if you give him any issues, I'll be the first to know about it got it?"

'Yes Captain!' and 'Yes Sirs!' were heard all around and after a swift nod to Armin both the Commander and Levi squad set off into no man's land on horseback. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dragged Hange through the building flames licking at our bodies as we dodged room to room climbing over furniture until we reached the outside.

Hange was still unphased clutching a breifcase full of scientific notes they has snatched before we had made our escape from the blaze.

The building was completley alight now. Flames burst out the windows and i couldnt help but shed a few tears. The place I had learned to love was nothing more than ashes. The bed Erwin and I had shared together reduced to rusted metal and glowing dust. His office was no doubt destroyed just as everything in the building had been.

I wiped my right hand across my eyes soot dirtying it.
"This is horrid." I mumbled sitting against a tree. Whilst a nurse tended to some of my wounds.
"I know dear. But this will all be over soon. I'm sure. After all those Marleyian bastards must be getting bored by now."

I pulled my left hand away from her.

"Thats doubtful. Marleyians dont tend to like losing. To them surrender is just as bad as a loss."

"Then I'm sorry to say but we're most likely going to be wiped out before long. Casualty reports predict that unless a cease fire is called in the next day or two. Our forces will be reduced to a few hundred. So many brave souls have lost their lives fightibg this cause. Id hate for itnto all be for nothing." She sighed."But I have some faith our commander can stop this."

"What do you mean?" My eyes widened. No way eould he be so careless.

"Well he and Captain Levi rode out a few hours ago to call for cease fire. We just heard from the front." She smiled softly at me before noticing my distress. "Relax , everything will be fine."

I shook my head. "Thanks for the help but I have to go. I have a feeling this isnt going to end well."

I needed to get to the warriors. Convince them to refuse to fight. It was the only way. And I had to get there quickly.