Chapter 19: The night we met

Erwin watched as Y/N danced across the room her laughter ringing in his ears. He rose to his feet and joined her dancing happily, sweet melodic music flowing throughout the bright office. Her eyes shone brightly and she beckoned for him to move closer to her. He moved over and held her in his arms cradling her close.

"I've missed you so much" Tears formed in Erwin's eyes.

"I missed you too." She replied.

Erwin caressed her cheek gently before placing his hands on her waist and swaying once again.

'Hands... HANDS...' Erwin looked down at his arms in confusion.

"M-my arm..." Erwin said quietly.

"What's wrong?" Y/n asked.

The ground became soft beneath y/n's feet and she began to sink. In panic he grabbed hold of y/n tighter as he remained steady on the floor.

"Y/n!" He yelled out trying to pull her out but she only sank faster.

"I'm sorry Erwin... I'm so sorry..." Tears fell from her eyes and tumbled down her cheeks only her shoulders and head visable above the ground.

Erwin remained clutching her arm.
"HELP! SOMEONE HELP!" He yelled out as her hand slipped out of his and she completely vanished.

"Erwin. Wake up...." Levi shook Erwin's shoulder.

Erwin sat upright abruptly panting, his body drenched in sweat and his cheeks stained with tears.
"Y/n...?" He said dazed.

"No. Just me. You were shouting. It was just a dream." Levi held Erwin's shoulder reassuringly.

"Right, yes... Of course. Thank you Levi." Erwin nodded to him.

"You know Marie wasn't exactly thrilled that you just off and abandoned her like that today." Levi said sitting down on the edge of Erwin's bed.

"I know... I really regret it... It's just-" Erwin was cut off

"Your head felt really full and it's like you were being crushed?" Levi asked.

"Yes... How did you know?" Erwin replied.

"Because I feel that way sometimes too. The survey Corps occupies so much of our minds that any slight worry we have can easily consume us. I didn't understand it before but I do now. Y/n meant a lot more to you than I realised and ...." Levi put his head down "I'm sorry I haven't been there for you more." He mumbled.

Erwin smiled a bit. Levi rarely apologized to anyone and so he felt almost privileged to not have to coax it out of him.

"I'm sorry too Levi. For not remaining focused. " Erwin took a deep breath and yawned. "Thank you for waking me. I wasn't sure I was going to survive that one."

"Tch. Don't thank me old man. I only woke you up because I didn't want you to wake up Hange. You know how cranky they get if they don't get enough sleep." Levi was back to his regular stony self.

"Yes. Of course." Erwin chuckled a bit as Levi stood and left the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following day Erwin and Levi went down to see Hange at the Titan Research room.

"Section Commander. How's things going over here." Erwin asked.

"Going good thanks. Thanks to your date I'm feeling much better about the tragedy that was Sawney and Bean's unsightly demise. I had a lot of fun making the restaurant yesterday. " Hange smiled.

"I'm glad. Though I'm sorry I ruined things with Marie or else you might have been able to do something like that again." Erwin replied bowing his head slightly.

"Ruined? Heaven's.... Did Levi not tell you? She wants to see you AGAIN!" Hange squealed. "Even after you made a complete fool of her she still wants to see you. She must really like you" They bounced up and down excitedly.

Erwin stood in confusion. Why would Marie still want to see him after all that? It didn't make any sense.

"I see..." Erwin smiled. Glad that he hadn't completely screwed up his chances with her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marie and Erwin walked through town hand in hand their cheeks flushed and their hearts happy. They looked at the stalls and talked to the vendors.

Erwin fondled a brooch in his hand as Marie looked at some earrings further along the stall.

"That one's real nice ain't it. " The vendor said.

"Indeed it is. It's beautiful." Erwin's fingers grazed the glistening white petals of the metal Daisy and turned it over to examine the pin.

"I'm sure your lady friend over there would treasure it most dearly." The vendor said again smiling.

"She would. That's exactly why I'm like to purchase it for her." Erwin placed the brooch down and reached into his pocket retrieving his coins and handing them over. The vendor took the brooch and wrapped it carefully before handing it back to Erwin.

"Have a good day sir." They bowed their head.

"Thanks, you too." Erwin nodded as he took the neatly wrapped package and walked over taking Marie's hand once again, whom had been oblivious to the entire conversation.

"Oh hey. You ready to go?" Marie asked.

"Sure. How about we stop by the bakery and then head down to the lake?" Erwin swung Marie's hand back and forth as they walked.

After picking up two scones at the bakery they made their way down to the lake and sat down on a bench. After eating Erwin draped his arm across Marie's shoulder pulling her closer as they talked about life and the world in general. Erwin's mind felt quieter, quieter than it had been in a long time.

Just before they parted ways he presented Marie with the brooch he had purchased at the market.

"Oh Erwin it's beautiful!" Marie exclaimed hurriedly attaching it to her cardigan.

"I'm glad you like it." Erwin's cheeks flushed red momentarily. He stared into Marie's bright green eyes. They were greener than the hills on the horizon and yet we're so full of life. Her soft skin seemed to glow in the sunshine and her lips appeared like that of a China doll, so smooth they seemed almost unreal.

They moved closer to each other Erwin's arm holding Marie's waist lightly. It felt as if everything was moving in slow motion. Marie leaned up onto her tip toes and before Erwin even knew what was happening she planted a gentle kiss upon his lips.

"Thank you for a wonderful day Erwin." Marie's face was bright red with bashfulness. "You've given me so much and I haven't even spent a single penny on you yet." She felt embarassed that she couldn't easily afford the luxuries that the Commander of the survey Corps could, it was only natural.

Erwin moved his hand to gently caress her cheek.

"For you, my love. If I could lasso the moon and bring it to you, I would. And I would ask for nothing in return except to spend just one more day with you like today."