Chapter 18: Touch

The sky was dark and large raindrops fell and tumbled down the windows of the meeting room inside Survey Corps HQ. Erwin sat at the head of a long table with many other members of the Survey Corps discussing the next mission.

"To summise, we will escort Eren Jaeger, along with my squad, out to the exterior base, which is approximately a days journey from Wall Maria. We will use the formation laid out under our new strategy and use smoke signals and flares when calling for assistance. Any questions?" Levi asked addressing the room. Everyone shook their heads but Levi's eyes bore into the top of Erwin's head as he sat with his chin resting on his hand dozing off.

Miche elbowed Erwin in the ribs. Being startled awake Erwin composed himself.
"Yes, uh, very good Levi. Thank you everyone. Get some rest." Everyone got up and left the room.

"Thank you, Miche. I appreciate it." Erwin said. Miche simply nodded in response before leaving the room.

Levi still stood motionless staring at Erwin his eyes dark.

"Something wrong, Captain?" Erwin asked his eyebrows furrowing.

"Tch." Levi picked up his teacup walked out the room.

Once the door closed Erwin rubbed his eyes before also getting up and returning to his office.

Erwin yawned and sat down in his desk chair scratching his head. He moved his fingers to the tea stain on his desk as his calloused fingers traced it's outline. He sighed thinking about her again made his heart ache.

Hange knocked carefully on the door peeking in.
"Commander? Mind if I borrow your time for a moment?" They asked smiling slightly.

"Sure. Come in." Erwin replied barely lifting his head.

Hange walked in and sat down in the chair normally housing Levi.
"So... Basically, Levi and I have been talking. And we've decided you're depressed. So, we came to the conclusion- Well more like I came to the conclusion that the best course of action to boot kick you out of this rut is a DATE!" Hange exclaimed excitedly.

"Huh?" Erwin shook his head blinking in shock

"You're going on a date!" Hange repeated

"I'm not going on a date. Who would want to go on a date with me, anyway?" Erwin chuckled sadly

"Well, her name is Marie and she says she knows you from WAYYYY back in the day. I mean like WAYYYY back. Like 20 years ago!" Hange grinned

"Marie...are you talking about Marie Vogel?" Erwin smiled a little thinking about simpler times when he and his best friend Nile Dok would hang around in bars during their free time, and how they met a young bar maid and both of them instantly had a crush on her.

"Indeed I am! Isn't it great! The date is set for tonight so you better start getting ready!!" Hange shrieked as they exited the room.

"Tonight? Goodness. I really ought to take a bath then." He got up and made his way into the bathroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Erwin straightened his tie and combed his hair into place. He looked in the mirror touching the empty arm of his jacket. He thought about how much y/n had helped him but shook the thoughts from his mind. He was nervous and he couldn't deny it. But even if it didn't work out between them he hoped spending time with another woman might help him forget about y/n completely.

He pushed a small daisy into his pockets buttonhole before turning and heading for the door.

He met Marie at the entrance to the Survey Corps HQ and bowed graciously.