Chapter 32-Only

Erwin's heart began to race as he approached his office. Taking large strides down the hall in order to quicken his pace. Was it really her? What would she say? What would he say? Arriving at his office he opened the door carefully. Her back was turned to him but he would know that hair anywhere. It's smooth silky texture and it's mesmerizing colour.

Her fingers brushed against his cloak, examining it. Erwin edged closer the floorboard creaking beneath his weight.

She stepped away from it her body freezing. He was mere few metres away from her and he resisted the urge to pull her into his arms.

"Y/n....I-is that really you?" He began to choke up.

She turned towards him her eyes glistening with a mixture of fear and happiness. She nodded as a tear snaked its way down her fragile cheek and fell from her jaw. She was beautiful. She hadn't changed a bit.

"I know I've said this before but I'm so sorry... I was wondering if you could ever forgive me?" She picked at her nails nervously.

Erwin didn't know what to say. He stepped closer to her. "Why did you come back?" He asked softly, not loud enough for y/n to even hear rubbing his eyes to disperse his tears of happiness.

He cleared his throat. "Do you want something to drink?" Erwin asked moving past y/n and over to his desk and sitting down in his cushioned leather chair.

"I'm okay... Thanks though." A small smile found its way onto her lips as she also pushed down her happy tears "I should... Probably go actually... This was Hange's idea anyway. A stupid one at that." She turned away from him

"No!" Erwin reached out his arm towards her abruptly standing from his chair. Before softening his tone. "Please...stay. I feel like we have a lot to catch up on." He sat back down as y/n walked back over to his desk and pulled up a chair.
"I would however like to make it clear that if you try anything.... Espionage wise...I won't let you get away this time." He growled under his breath. "And, just because I want to talk to you doesn't mean I forgive you."

"I understand." She bowed her head graciously. "I wouldn't forgive me either. I'm a horrible person. But I really meant what I said. I didn't want it to end like that. And I never meant for it to. I just wanted to finish the mission and be done with it."

"So why did you come back?" Erwin's brow wrinkled . "Seems like your loyalties changed and yet you still left. I'm curious to know. What changed your mind?"

"What do you mean? My loyalties were always with-"

"Don't bullshit me. You basically gave me that notebook. You tell me you're a trained spy for some distant island, hell-bent on destroy this race of 'devils', that you claim us to be. And yet the one thing you came to retrieve never left my office. It doesn't add up. Something changed your mind so, what was it?"

"YOU!"Y/n yelled getting up abruptly  "For heavens sake, Erwin!" She grabbed her hair in frustration. "Obviously, it was you!" She clawed at her scalp before letting go and slumping back down in the chair. "I loved you...hell, I still do. That night in your office.... when we danced together with no music. That was the night I decided I wanted to stop. Stop fighting for my home just because it was home. I was just going to stay. Forget about them and  continue my life here, with you."

"So why didn't you? I would have been none the wiser? I might be the Commander of the Survey Corps and not much goes on without my knowing but you sure pulled the wool over my eyes." Erwin chuckled a bit taking a sip of water from the glass that sat on his desk.

"Because...I got a letter. From my superior. He wrote to me that my family were excited to see me and they were so proud of me. He told me to finish the job and that someone would be waiting to pick me up."  Y/n pulled at a loose thread in her clothes.

"That doesn't explain it. Doesn't seem too much of an issue to me. There's something you're not telling me." Erwin took another sip of water.

"He said that if I didn't show up within the allotted time then whoever was due to pick me up would come and fetch me. I can't have that. Not only would that be bad news for me. But if they saw us? Together? I'm sure you can imagine it wouldn't be good for you either." She explained. "If you're done questioning me. Then I'd quite like to know something too."

"What is it? Go ahead and ask me." Erwin was curious as to what she was pondering.

"How long have you and Marie been together?" She asked taking Erwin by surprise.

"How did...ah...I see. Clearly you're very skilled at your job. Marie and I were together for a little over 4 months. I'm impressed you knew."

"It broke my heart to see you with her. I wanted to be her. Replace her." Y/n had become distressed. "You just looked so happy...." She realised. "Wait, you....you said you WERE together... So..."

"Yet again, you impress me. Yes, Marie and I split up around a month ago. She realised we didn't want the same things from life" Erwin stood and walked around the desk and stood next to y/n "And I realised that she couldn't replace the one person I wanted to wake up next to more than anything."

"Who? I saw the way you looked at her. Who could make you any happier than how you were?" Y/n asked also standing.

"Come on now. Miss detective... Just when I thought you were good at figuring things out." Erwin chuckled and looked into y/n's eyes. He didnt say anything he just stared at her beauty. Before she crashed into his chest hugging him tightly.

His arm found its way to her back and held her against him. He could feel the warmth of her body through their clothes and her heartbeat beat so hard it felt like it could burst out of her chest any second.

Erwin closed his eyes resting them as they embraced. His heart felt whole again just having her there.

She was real.

This moment was real.

Finally, it wasn't just a dream.