Chapter 22: Guillotine

Stefan awoke yawning his chest heavy. He opened his eyes revealing y/n sleeping with her head on his chest. They were both covered by her blanket.

'Guess she must have moved down here during the night' He thought to himself. He stroked her head gently so as not to disturb her.

"I'll stay as long as you need me." He whispered.

Y/n stirred sitting up and stretching.
"Good morning..." She said yawning

"Morning y/n, I hope you slept okay." He smiled.

Y/n sighed. "I think it's time I tell you everything." She said getting up and moving to sit on her bed patting the space next to her. "It's going to sound crazy but I promise this is the truth. I hope you won't hate me for it."

"I could never hate you y/n. Never." Stefan sat next to her ready to hear everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stefan sat in utter shock. He wasn't sure what to think about what y/n had just told him. He briefly questioned if y/n had been friends with him simply as a cover story but he brushed that aside after looking at her guilty eyes. If there was one thing Stefan was good at it was seeing people's true intentions and he'd seen nothing but kindness within hers. Even if it was pushed aside on occasion at the end of the day her purpose on this Earth was nothing but pure and honest.

Y/n sat her face full of concern looking for some form of reaction from Stefan.

"I'm sorry.... I hope I haven't upset you?" She said quietly.

"Upset me? Y/n, like I said to you nothing you could ever say would make me hate you? It's just a lot to process, I mean, the thought of something beyond the walls hadn't even really crossed my mind before. I always just assumed there was nothing out there but trees and titans." Stefan said scratching his head

"There's far more than that. There's vast dessert, fields, plains and best of all an ocean full of water that's mostly salt. Beyond that ocean lies my home, Marley, specifically Liberio. It's a whole separate island that connects to many other countries too." Y/N was excited to be sharing her knowledge of the world with Stefan even though she was still worried about he might be more upset than he was letting on.

Sensing her discomfort Stefan hugged Y/n suddenly.

"I won't tell a soul your secret. I'll take it to my grave if I have to. Thank you so much for telling me." He smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Stefan held me pressed against his chest I took a deep breath my shoulders feeling slighter lighter knowing I didn't have to lie to him anymore.

"In my eyes you're still the same person that I met on my shift 2 whole years ago. Nothing that you've told me changes the way I see you. I just wanted you to know that." He said softly.

I smiled my eyes welling with tears. I was so worried that I was going to lose one of my only friends here over it but I had been so wrong. And of course I had been. Stefan was the kindest and most forgiving soul I knew.

We spent a lot of time together over the next few days. I struggled a lot with nightmares so Stefan would often stay over to check on me. I was so incredibly grateful but also felt like a massive burden at the same time.

It was one of these nights as Stefan laid on the floor beside me on folded blanketsand I sat awake staring out my window my brain practically buzzing with a million thoughts that I realised how much he meant to me. He groaned in his sleep clearly uncomfortable on the floor.

"Stefan..." I said quietly shaking his shoulder.

"H-huh? Oh.... Are you okay? Did you have a nightmare?" He practically shot up pulling me into a tight hug.

"N-no... I'm okay... I just... Thought you might be comfier in the bed than down there on the floor..." I patted the sliver of bed beside me.

"Oh, no... I couldn't... I-I'm okay....There's not really enough space for me." He said becoming flustered.

"Stefan please, you're practically a bean pole. There's room." I stated patting the bed again. Reluctantly Stefan rose and clambered in beside me. I laid down and began to giggle our faces so close they were practically touching. Stefan turned a deeper shade of red. Which I could clearly make out despite the room being mostly in darkness. I turned away in an attempt to make things less awkward whilst still keeping close to him for comfort.

I heard Stefan sharply inhale as our bodies laid against each other before he turned and faced away too. Our ass cheeks pressed against each other through our pjamas. I stifled a chuckle and turned back to face Stefan's back.

I placed my arm over him cuddling him close to me resting my head against his neck and shoulders.

"Y/n... You don't have to-" He began

"Shhh...." I reached up my hand and intertwined it in his curly locks gently stroking his hair and twirling it in my fingers. He sighed and began drifting to sleep and I followed swiftly after comforted by his warm body and the distinct papery scent that radiated from his hair and skin.

'Sweet dreams Stefan, my guardian angel.' I thought to myself as I drifted into dreams.