Chapter 58- Atlas:Heart

My breath began to judder as it lifted me to it's gaping mouth. The rancid stench of death radiating from the void of it's gullet.
I closed my eyes tight. Maybe I should have fought harder to get away. But I never really had a chance did I? I was stupid to be so unprepared.

I always imagined what death might feel like. In truth in that moment it felt like floating. I expected pain but instead only felt a tight squeeze and the rush of the breeze against my skin.

"Could you open your eyes? I want to see if they're the same as I remember."

Huh?

What was that?

A voice?

I wrinkled my brow opening my eyes the sunlight glaring into them. An arm squeezed tighter around my waist. And as my eyes adjusted I looked up into a dazzling blue ocean.

"Erwin..." My voice cracked.

"The very same." He smiled. "Don't worry. You're safe now."

He never could have found me out there. It wasn't possible.
"How did..."

"Tch. You're easier to track than cattle, brat." Levi's brazen voice met my left ear and I turned my head towards the sound.

"Captain Le-"

"Now's not the time." He cut me off. "We're approaching the gates."

We swooped down to the ground. Both Erwin and Levi landing with ease. Erwin let go of me his hand lingering slightly on my waist giving me goosebumps.

We walked over to a horse and cart. I recognised the cart to be one used for transporting the fallen soldiers and I grimaced at the blood stains on the wood.

Hange rode over on a horse leading another with them. They hopped down handing the reins to Levi who took them and hoisted himself up.

"How is it?!" Hange asked Erwin eagerly.
Erwin nodded attaching the triggers of his ODM gear to his belt and flexing the fingers of his metallic arm.

"Can't say it was the cleanest flight. Though I would say it has been a while so I might be rusty." Erwin chuckled.

Hange smiled.
"Well! I'm glad it's to your liking. Hopefully it will lead the way for more to be made now." Hange hopped into the horse that pulled the cart.

"Y/n. I'm afraid you'll have to ride in the back. There really is no easy way to sneak you in past the Garrison." Erwin stated

I nodded. "of course." I climbed up into the cart sitting down leaning against it's edge. Erwin mounted his own horse, which was the other that had been led by Hange,nodding his head to me.

We began to ride off and Hange turned back towards me.

"Oh y/n! How's your shoulder? I must say I'm surprised to see you with your arm still. Unless of course, Levi did take it clean off and that's just a replica!"Hange shot a look between Erwin and myself. "AREN'T YOU TWO SIDES OF A COIN,EY?!" They laughed.

"Sorry to disappoint, just a gnarly scar I'm afraid. Guess Levi didn't strike me as hard as he told you." I smirked knowing my comment would irk Levi but hoping it might ease the tension between us.

"Last I checked cadavers couldn't talk." Levi threw a sheet at me and I lay down covering myself and trying to stay as still as possible. I smiled. Levi didn't seem too angry, good.

Erwin and Levi talked to each other in hushed tones as we grew closer to the walls.

"Remember what I said. People change."

"Yes and she changes with the wind. It's reckless to bring her back."

"Levi-"

"I didn't say it was a bad idea. I just think you're stupid."

"Fine. But try to understand her at least. You're not too dissimilar from one another you know."

"Tch."

After some talking with the Garrison for what seemed like hours we finally entered through the gates. A short time later a commotion could be heard.

"Attention brats. Under here is something extremely valuable. And just as it is valuable it is also TOP SECRET. You are not to telling a soul living or dead about this. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes Captain Levi sir!" A barrage of voices exclaimed.

The sheet was removed and a hoarde of eager faces peered over me. When they realised it was me they backed off giving me space to sit up and stretch. At least most of them did.

Sasha hurtled herself towards me knocking me backwards into the cart.

"Did you bring snacks? I'm missing breakfast for this..." She pleaded.

"Sorry... I left in a bit of a hurry..." I replied.
She huffed and got up. I looked around me at the faces of the cadets who seemed to have grown so much. Clearly it wasn't only the warriors that seemed to age each time I left.

I studied the crowd. There was Connie holding back a laugh. I suspected a Deez Nuts joke was brewing.

Over to the side was Jean his arm around Amy,  the girl from the tree, who was wearing what appeared to be a nurses uniform. I supposed she decided the scouts wasn't for her after all.

Standing to the left of them was an ever cheerful Marco his freckles as defined as always. 

Eren, Mikasa and Armin stood towards the back. Erens eyes narrowed at me and Mikasa stood firmly ready to defend him with her life. Armin waved nervously. I guess my departure had rubbed them the wrong way. I couldn't blame them. I just hoped I could prove that I wasn't a threat. At least not anymore.

"So you're back? For good?" Marco asked me as we sat down to eat later that afternoon.

"I am. This is where I'm meant to be. I've always felt it but, now I'm sure."

"Good. The Commander deserves to be happy." He paused looking toward the door "Speaking of the Commander,  here he comes now." Footsteps approached and Marco saluted.

Erwin placed his hand upon my left shoulder his thumb brushing over it.
"Good Afternoon Commander. Can we help you?" Marco asked.

"Mr Bodt, I'm afraid I'll have to steal her away. Miss y/n if you could accompany me to my office we have much to discuss."

"Sorry Marco. I'll have to be going. Lovely to see you again." I stood smiling. As Marco nodded to me.

Erwin held out his Metallic hand and I took it as we walked back towards the door and out into the corridor.