Chapter 15: Liability

Zeke and I had been friends since we were around 7 when we first started training for M.O.T.H.E.R. Growing up together we of course we were pretty close from the get go. Despite being Eldian, Zeke was always welcome at my family's dinners and would sometimes stay the night in our guest bedroom when we had time off. After all he no longer had parents of his own and despite him having very supportive grandparents, no sane Eldian would refuse the chance to spend time outside of the internment zone.

When we were around 15, Zeke was chosen to inherit the beast titan from his predecessor and we weren't able to spend as much time together. Becoming a warrior changed Zeke in more ways that his ability to become a giant boulder throwing monke, he became bitter, mean and this was also the time when his smoking habits first began. This sudden change in him caused us to drift even further apart than we were before and I began to hang out with the younger warrior candidates as they entered training.

Although it was strange for a 15 year to constantly be around 9 and 10 year olds, I wasn't fazed. I enjoyed their company and would often help them with their training acting like a big sister for them. Admittedly, Annie never really spoke to me much but that was typical of her, keeping to herself. Reiner and Bertholdt on the other hand were always up to sit and talk over a glass of milk, providing I brought biscuits with me.

We stopped by the dorms only briefly for me to put on my uniform before we headed over to the offices. I saluted my superiors before sitting down at the long table.

"So y/n, are you ready to present your findings? Captain Jaeger has been telling us about how hard you've been working. I'm eager to learn more." General Magath asked me. My blood pressure raised and my palms became sweaty.

"Yes sir. I am." I stood from my seat to address the room. "As you are all aware, I was tasked with infiltrating via their media. Using my job as a journalist at their newspaper printer, I made contact with the Commander of the Survey Corps, Erwin Smith. I gained his trust fairly quickly and after being invited to his office I was able to find the blueprints for the odm gear as well as details of an upcoming mission to gather more information about the titans." I began to quickly piece together information in my head hoping I could making something up that they might believe.

Zeke watched me closely from the other side of the room. His arms folded as if he knew I was clutching at straws.
"Why don't you show us your notes so we can take a look at the blue prints while you're talking. " His expression remaining neutral and unfazed.

"Yes. Good idea. I'd like to see them." McGrath said holding out his hand.

"Well, uhh... I don't.... Have them with me..." I began panicking even more, cursing Zeke in my head for suggesting it.

"Don't have them right now or at all?" McGrath asked his eyebrows furrowing.

"I...don't have them at all sir...I ran into some complications and thought it would be easier to keep a mental note than have a notebook lying around where it could be found." I fiddled with the sleeves of my uniform.

"I see. Everyone is dismissed then. It seems we have nothing further to discuss. Captain Jaeger, stay behind please. I need a word." Everyone rose from their chairs and left the room. I hurried out my face draining of colour and waited in the hallway for Zeke to come out.

I could hear their voices but couldn't make out what was being said. But I could assume it was something to do with me and I doubted it was anything good. After a few minutes I realised it was probably going to take a while so headed out to the courtyard to get some air.

No sign of the younger warriors today, I guessed they must be training or prepping for a mission. I leaned against a low wall and closed my eyes attempting to calm myself before Zeke got back.

I soon heard his boots crunching through the gravel.

"Zeke..." I called out as he passed me

"That's Captain to you." Zeke said through gritted teeth as I jogged to catch up with him.

"Sorry, Captain. I can fix this..." I said quietly.

"I can't believe you! Why would you want to make me look so fucking stupid?!" Zeke yelled.

"In my defense I didn't know you'd talked about my work so much." I retorted.

"In MY defense I didn't realise you were such a liability! I'd be surprised if they didn't kick you out of the organisation completely." Zeke was pissed, and it was understandable.

"If they do then that's my problem. Don't worry about me." I said shrugging

Zeke chuckled lighting a cigarette. "You think I'm worried about you? Don't make me laugh. I couldn't care less about you. It's me I'm worried about. All you've done since we were kids is cause issues. I don't know why you're still here." He replied snarkily.

"I'm here to do my job. The job we've both trained for since we were kids." I slowed down to a walk as we approached the exit gate.

Zeke stopped for a moment.
"No. I'm here to do my job. You're only here to fall in love with the enemy."