Chapter 29- War of Hearts

Erwin lay awake in bed. Marie sleeping soundly next to him. After their long date she was drowsy before they even got back to HQ. He ran a hand through his blond locks before sitting up and carefully slipping out from under the blankets. His feet padded across the floor as he made his way into his office leaving the door between the rooms ajar so as not to disturb her.

He sat down at his desk carefully sliding the top drawer open and reached in to pull out y/n's notebook. His fingers grazed against a scrap of parchment which rested on top. He pulled it out to look at it. The calligraphy on the page was ultimately too familiar.

"My heart is filled with a million regrets. But still I dedicate my heart to you."

Sketched delicately along the edges of the torn paper was a hyacinth. Which had been painted over with a wash of purple colour so carefully that it was almost looked as if the petals could fall from it at any moment.

Erwin's eyebrows furrowed as he examined it. He lifted the paper to his nose, the scent of lavender filled his nostrils. His brain danced with sparks of nostalgia for the girl he'd lost to her own lies.

How long had this been here? And how on earth did she get the paper to smell like that? He sighed deeply.
She must have been back here at some point.

The door creaked slightly and Erwin shoved the notebook and paper back into the drawer closing it.

"Come back to bed..." Marie groaned sleepily from the door. Erwin nodded and stood snaking his arm around Marie's waist and walking with her back to the bed.

Marie rested her head upon his shoulder and traced circles with her fingers upon his chest until they both fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Erwin....pssst" Someone shook his shoulder jolting him awake. He opened his eyes blearily to y/n holding a tray with breakfast on it.

"Come on sleepy head." She grinned.

He didn't question it. He was just thrilled to see her again.
"Thank you... I..." He sat up and looked around but Marie was nowhere to be seen.

She placed the tray on Erwin's lap as he leaned against the headboard.

Y/n walked around to the other side of the bed and clambered in beside him.

"I missed you." She smiled.

"You look just as beautiful as I remember" He replied tucking in to the bacon and eggs she had so lovingly prepared for him. He stopped. What was he doing? He wouldn't allow her to simply turn up without explanation.

"Y/n... Why are you here?" He asked.

"Well to ask you to forgive me? I still love you. My feelings for you haven't changed. I don't want to live apart from you." She cupped his cheek and brushed her thumb across it gently.

Erwin placed his hand over hers feeling its warmth against his skin, comforted by it.

"Have you forgiven me?" She asked.

"I don't know... For your crimes yes. A part of me understands that you seemed to have no choice but for lying to me. I'm still not sure." He turned his eyes away.

"B-but don't you love me?" Her voice shook as she pulled her hand away tears running down her face.

"I don't think I have a choice. I didn't have one since that day we danced in my office. I've never felt more alive than when you're in my arms." Erwin paused to look down at his right sleeve which lay empty on the bed.

"I'm not even sure I would have survived if it wasn't for you. I thought about what you said. You nursed me for weeks when you didn't have to. That what makes me believe that you were telling the truth about somethings. I was just blinded by my own hurt at the time to really think about it. " He took a deep breath.

"I tried to stop loving you, you know? I really did. But nothing feels the same. Besides, I can't seem to find any lavender soap down at the market and I ran out quite a while ago." He chuckled and y/n joined in snuggling closer to him and stealing a bite of his breakfast.

"I love you Erwin."

"I love you too y/n."