Chapter 35- Everything works out in the end

Stefan gently caressed her long hair. She was still sound asleep. A night of tumbling in the sheets had clearly been exhausting. He scratched at his head, his clean hair gliding across his fingers. He'd almost forgotten what it felt like. But feeling the running water falling over him had been bliss. When she'd first forced him into the bathroom he wasn't so sure. After all, he was almost doing it as a sort of protest. But her kind eyes and pleading soon made him cave in and he had enjoyed every moment.

He was happy and he'd been right. He needed closure and he finally had it. He didn't have to forget about y/n in order to move on. She'd taught him that much. And although he couldn't see their relationship going any further than what they were right now. He still was extremely grateful to her.

She stirred turning over and meeting Stefan's gaze.

"Thank you." She whispered her voice slightly croaky from sleep and the nights activities.

"F-for what? I should be the one thanking you. Y-you've done so much for me." Stefan protested staring into her shimmering eyes.

"Thank for you for helping me see that their are men who will treat me with respect. Ones who are kind and sweet and... Maybe a little stinky on the outside." She giggled "But on the inside their nothing but pure and sweet." Stefan blushed crimson.

"Thank you for teaching me that everything works out in the end." They both sat up and embraced their warm bodies pressed against each other.

The two of them sat together at the table and enjoyed each other's company for a short while after breakfast. She checked her watch.
"I should get going now." She stood up. "Thanks again." Stefan also stood to walk her to the door. Maggie meowed in protest her tail coiling around her leg. She reached down and petted her gently.
"Don't worry. I'm sure I'll come back for tea at some point if Stefan invites me."

"Of course. You're always welcome. " Stefan responded as they hugged one last time.

Stefan waved goodbye as she left walking her way down the street and rounding the corner. He turned and headed back inside, sitting down at the table dipping his quill into it's ink.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miss F/n L/n
Survey Corps HQ
Trost

Dear Y/n

It's been a while. How've you been? I must admit it's been pretty bleak around these parts without you. I hope life is treating you well. I stopped by your house but it seems that you're staying elsewhere lately.

I just want you to know that I'm not angry at you. I just wanted to say that because I thought that might be why you're avoiding me. Despite everything that happened between us, we were still friends before all that. At least I hope we were.

I admit that what you said to me did hurt but I'm also starting to understand why you reacted the way you did. I hope that we can sit down and talk about it when you're ready. It would be really nice to see you again. I know Maggie misses you.

Stay safe.
Your forever friend

Stefan Clemens Kraus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Knock knock!" Piped a voice behind the office door.

"Come in, Hange! " Erwin called from his desk.

I was always surprised that he could tell each member of the Corps apart simply from their voice. I mean he had been working with them for a while but I'd been around the warriors most of my life and I still couldn't manage that.

Hange bounded through the door with an excited look on their face. They swiftly turned towards me and made a beeline for me.

"Someone's got a letter!" They exclaimed clutching an envelope to their chest.

"Is it me by any chance?" I hoped not. Letters usually meant bad news for me,. At least since Erwin and I had met and stopped writing to each other. And on top of all that the fact that the letter had found me here at HQ gave me even more reason to worry.

"It is indeed!" They thrust it towards me. I noticed Erwin looking over slyly from his desk. He'd want to know what was in the letter I could tell that much.

"Well thank you very much Hange. I appreciate you bringing it to me. I'll.... Open it later." I smiled taking it and placing it down without even looking at it.

"I think not! No way are you going to get a hand written letter and I graciously hand deliver it to you and I don't get to find out what's in it. No way y/n. Go on just read it out!" They clapped their hands in excitement.

I looked down at the letter and my heart sank. It was Stefan's writing, no doubt about it. It was such poor timing. I didn't want to have to explain what had happened between me and Stefan to Erwin right now. Especially not with Hange here. As much as I loved them and they were one of my best friends here. They were not exactly the best person to have around during an emotional moment or one that involved a relationship.

"Hange, I really would rather read this later. Its probably very personal." I repeated emphasing the fact that Hange wouldn't find out what was in it right now. "I promise I'll tell you what's in the letter tommorow okay?"

Hange huffed. "Ugh, fine... I'm holding you to that promise!" Hange bounced out of the room again just as full of energy as always.

Erwin looked up. "Thanks for the salute Squad Leader." He grumbled under his breath. I just chuckled in response.

"What? Do you think they respect me more than you?" I teased.

"Of course not. Hange has always been this way." Erwin replied "I just wish they'd be a little more formal when entering their commanders office occasionally instead of just flashing in and then out again." He  muttered under his breath. I stood up from my chair and made my way over standing behind Erwin I placed my hands on his shoulders massaging them gently.

"You know, you're really starting to sound more and more like an old man." I giggled.

"That's just plain rude." He joked in response.

"How old are you by the way?" I questioned "I realise, I never asked." I moved around to his right and perched against his desk

"You really want to know?" He turned his head to look at me as I nodded. "I'm 35. At least, I was last time I checked."

"So you are an old man!" I teased again laughing.

"Hey... Stop that." He turned red "I'm not that old."

"Fine fine." I caught my breath back from laughter. I paused. "I suppose you'll want to know what's in this letter."

"I don't want to force you to tell me." Erwin's voice was warm and soft. He really didn't want to upset me or make uncomfortable.

"It's okay. I had to tell you at some.point. And-! Before you get worried. Its not from M.O.T.H.E.R. It's actually from Stefan. You mentioned you'd met him before and well. We became rather close after I came back. Maybe... It's best I just read you the letter and then explain-" I spouted desperate to explain before Erwin got the wrong idea.

"Y/n." Erwin grabbed my hand. "It's okay. Just breathe and take your time. You're much easier to understand when you actually leave space between words you know?" He smiled rubbing his thumb over the back of my hand.

I nodded and opened the envelope "Okay. Here goes nothing." I began to read aloud. "Dear y/n...."