Chapter 57- Home (ii)

"Erwin!" Hange entered his office without knocking. "There's a letter!" They excitedly closed the door skipping to his desk and waving it in a circle by his face as Erwin swatted it away.

"And....it's for....You!" They announced. Thrusting it forward causing it to collide with Erwin's nose.

He blinked before responding calmly.
"Yes, thank you very much Section Commander. Just set it down,I'll read it later."

Hange remained unmoved the letter still very close to Erwin face.
"I really think you're gonna wanna read this one. Like, now." They exclaimed still excited.

"I said I'll read it later. Now if you'll excuse me." He looked up his brows furrowed.

Hange retracted the letter.
"Alright! Alright!" They held up their hands with the letter clasped in one of them. They turned for the door.

"But just so you know. I know everyone here's handwriting in and out. And I don't remember Pyxis  ever writing in cursive.... Or Zachary for that matter. Hmm ...how curious... But I guess if you're not interested I'll just rip it up then EY?" Hange grabbed the letter by both sides holding it above their head.

"NO! WAIT!" Erwin called out. Standing up and reaching out over his desk abruptly.

Hange turned.
"Oh? So you are interested then?"

Erwin sat back regaining his composure. Before softly asking
"Do you think it could be from...y/n?"

Hange's expression also softened.
"I'm not sure. But you won't know if you don't open it. Will you?" They extended the letter to him once again.

Erwin held out his hand and took the letter.
Taking his letter opener and slicing it open.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return Address:
NULL

Dear Commander Smith,
You don't know me, but I've heard a hell of a lot about you. I'm a friend of y/n's . Yes, that means I'm not from around your neck of the woods either, hence why I shan't provide my name. She's asked me to write to you because well, I'll get to the point. She misses you and, she's coming back to Paradis. I wrote ahead so she wouldn't get swarmed by the Military the moment she arrived. Please make sure you get to her before they do. She should arrive just after sunset this coming Monday.
Good Luck

~Anon.

P.S if you hurt my best friend in ANY way. It will be the last thing you do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I could see the walls in the distance.
I was glad for the horses that were kept at the docks or else I never would have made it so far. My arms ached from rowing but luckily the horse seemed to know the way. I must have drifted off because when I opened my eyes the horse had stopped to graze and the ground began to shake.

'fuck.'

I was completley defenseless. I didn't have the gear that I'd stolen before because it had been locked away by McGath.

I shook the horses reins and it whinnied before taking off into a gallop towards Shiganshina and the wall Reiner had broken through all those years ago.

What if Erwin wasn't waiting for me? I bit my lip and pulled to one side. The horse changed direction heading for some nearby woodland. We zipped through the trees. The sound of titan footsteps thundering behind us. Passing the bones of what I assumed must be scouts that had lost their lives to Erwin's cause.

I dismounted once I felt we were far enough away. Pulling the horse into the brush crouching down hoping that I could hide until the titan had passed. It had to be an abnormal. There was no way any regular titan would be so quick.

I steadied my breath. Gently patting the horse to calm it too.

Suddenly I felt light. My feet left the floor and my entire body froze in fear. My torso felt tight and I turned my head staring into the face of a wide eyed, man-eating titan.

I quivered in fear my eyes welling with tears. My throat ran dry and I was too paralysed to even scream. The sun glinted through the leaves on the trees and shone onto my face.

I squinted ,relaxing my body to accept my fate. I would never get to see him again. Apologise or make things right. I'd never get to create a home with him. I smiled. It could have been worse. I still got to meet him didn't I? Isn't that what I'd always wanted? To be with someone who loved me and whom I wanted to spend everyday with? I'd had that twice over. Even if it had only been for a short while.

I hoped he wasn't waiting for me. If he was, I hoped he wouldn't be too disappointed.