Chapter 50- Secrets and Lies

I woke to the sound of birds tweeting and muffled talking. I opened one eye sheepishly finding myself in a hospital bed. I recognised the room to be one at the Warrior training grounds. I guessed it must be the treatment room although I'd never been in here. I'd never needed to or wanted to for that matter. Yet here I was.

I tried to sit up but a shooting pain in my shoulder made me wince.

"You shouldn't move too much. You don't want to break the stitches." Zeke murmured from the chair beside my bed. He'd been so silent I hadn't noticed him sitting there. His eyes were closed and he held an unlit cigarette in his mouth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"A thank you would be nice. But I don't suppose you're really thankful are you?" Zeke said snarkily running a hand through his unkempt hair.

"What do you mean? Of course I'm thankful. You carried me all the way back here." Y/n retorted still wanting to keep up her pretenses with him.

"Didn't seem to me that you were very keen to leave. Almost like you'd rather be killed than come home to your family." Clearly she had been sussed out. No more pulling the wool over Zeke's eyes. Not that she was sure she'd ever fooled him to begin with.

"Instead of lecturing me why don't you pass me a glass of water." Y/n wanted to change the subject maybe she could weasel her way out of this.

"Get it yourself." Zeke was blunt and clearly in no mood for friendly conversation or helping out.

"Don't be childish Zeke. My throat is really dry and you JUST told me not to move too much." Y/n was in a lot of pain. Levi seemed to have taken out half her shoulder and unlike the Warriors she couldn't just steam a bit and be all better.

"Me childish? The only one here who's been acting like a child is you. Clearly you learnt nothing from your training at M.O.T.H.E.R. You'd think 17 years would be enough to get it into your thick skull! But clearly you're stupider than I thought." Zeke stood up looming over her. Y/n braced herself expecting him to hit her but instead he continued to yell.

"At first I thought they were the ones who had you wrapped round their fingers. I come to find out you tied yourself there!" Zeke had had enough. No more lies and no more pretending to be innocent.

"Whats so bad about gathering info. Thats exactly what I was expected to do." Y/n hoped to ease his anger but it only made it worse.

"If you hadn't been so head over heels for that bloody Commander, you never would have lost that notebook! How about we start with that?! Not to mention the resources we've wasted constantly checking in on you and coming to rescue your pathetic ass numerous times!" He paced back in forth in front of the bed the cigarette still clenched between his teeth unlit.

"If you weren't McGaths favorite I'm certain you would have been strung up on the gallows long ago. You know what if you ever even think about going back there I'll ring your neck myself." Zeke threatened pausing to glare at Y/n who was still in the bed.

"Do you want M.O.T.H.E.R. to shut down because of your actions? You really think your parents will keep letting you live under their roof if they know that you're the reason for it?" In Zeke's mind y/n had ruined everything good. She would be the downfall of Marley if he didn't stop her.

"But that wouldn't happen. Want to know why? My parents aren't anything like yours Zeke!" Y/n snapped. Mentioning his parents was a mistake but she didn't care.

"Whats that supposed to mean? Am I meant to let you off because you had a happy childhood?" He sneered remembering how he had handed his parents over to the authorities.

"Happy yeah but not healthy. We were literally kid soldiers. What about that screams healthy?"

Zeke wasn't even listening to y/n anymore. He was too deep in his rant to even acknowledge her. " You know I often think about how much easier it would be for everyone around here if you would just get caught. If just for once I wasn't commanded to go and retrieve "our assets" and just let you rot. Maybe then you'd gain some self respect and stop whoring yourself out to every "knight in shining armour" who takes a liking to you." He sat back down in the chair as
y/n sat in shock at the insult.

"Oh....did you think I didn't know about that? I'd be surprised if the whole of paradis didn't hear you. I'm sure the governing board would be very interested to see all the evidence I acquired whilst I was observing you." A smirk spreading across his face as he tapped the camera which now sat in his lap.

Y/n felt sick to her stomach. She pulled her knees up to her chest and hugged them. She felt violated. She didn't want that private moment to be shared with anyone other than her and Erwin. But it was too late now.

"What have I got to do for you to destroy those?" She said after a while.

"Oh there's nothing you can do. I'm not about to give up my potential promotion just because you don't want McGath to see you baby-making with a devil." He leered. Zeke enjoyed seeing y/n's discomfort and embarrassment. He was going to enjoy every second.

"They aren't devils Zeke." Y/n sighed "They're people just like you and me. If you spent time there actually living instead of spying on me you'd see that." Y/n attempted to appeal to what little shred of humanity Zeke might still have.

But clearly she wasn't getting through.
"If you spent anymore time there you would have seen how vicious and inhumane they can be. Are you forgetting how they raised their guns to you without any proof of your activities. If they were even close to human do you really think this world would still be the way it is?"

"So quick to critisce but you forget. That devils blood runs in your veins just as it does theirs." Y/n growled at him through gritted teeth.

"How dare you! We don't fear the Titan's like they do. We fight for a better world for Marleyians and Eldians alike. Not shutting ourselves away behind walls like a ticking time bomb that could be unleashed at any moment!" Zeke leaned towards her their faces mere inches apart as they spat out their words at each other.

"I just don't see how you can possibly still think they're a threat to us! We could wipe them out in a heartbeat with the power of the six titans we hold and even without those. Most of their population is living in poverty always days away from starvation. You forget how much damage Reiner and Bertholdt caused on their first mission. Admittedly they didn't manage to lure out the Attack Titan but they still weakened them severely. To the point where their Garrison regiment was almost entirely put to work on handing out rations rather than manning the gates. And now with the information I gave you about the Attack Titan we really have no reason to fear them. They're at a huge disadvantage." To y/n this all seemed so obvious. If everyone got along the world would be so much better off. This whole world was built off miscommunication and misunderstandings. Now was the time to fix it.

"Thats the talk I like to hear. Back to the girl I trained with in the courtyard every day who hated studying more than anything." Zeke seemed satisfied with her overly military response.

"You're acting as if that's a different person to who I am now." Y/n leaned back in bed sucking in air through her teeth as her shoulder began to throb with pain again.

"You've changed a lot y/n. I don't know why. I like to think that you're just too sympathetic." She was meant to be a ruthless spy. She was trained to have no feelings. She must have become lackadaisical. That was the only other explanation.

"We barely ever speak unless it's about a mission. Why do you parade around like you even know me?!" The pain was becoming unbearable. Y/n pressed the nurse button hoping to get some more pain relief and sure enough one pushed open the door holding a syringe.

Zeke stood removing the cigarette from his mouth and pushing it into his shirt pocket. He turned his back to y/n before muttering.
"Because I do know you. More than you'll ever know about your life before M.O.T.H.E.R even existed." And he walked away brushing past the nurse and out the doors.