Chapter 48- No Time to Die

Inside Stefan's home was just how I remembered. Maggie meowed and bounced her way over rubbing against me to be petted.
I knelt down as Stefan closed and locked the door.

"Make yourself at home. Don't worry no-one will look for you here." He smiled at me as he made his way into the kitchen.

"Sorry if I'm not as energetic as usual. I'm really tired..."He poured me a glass of water and handed it to me as I stood back up.

"It's okay. I'm just grateful you answered the door" I looked down at my ankle. "You don't happen to have any spare fabric do you?" I sat down in a chair pulling my leg up onto the other examining the swelling.

"Umm...I'm sure I do somewhere..." He searched around before thrusting a shirt at me. "Here. Will this work?"

I nodded. I ripped a ribbon of fabric from the shirt and wrapped my ankle. We sat in silence for a while, Maggie jumping up onto Stefan's lap and curling up.

"Do you think you could maybe tell me what's going on?" Stefan whispered after around an hour had passed

"It's the MP's... They found out about who I really am....Erwin must have told them." I was still in shock about the whole thing.

Stefan's eyes widened and he began picking at his nails and biting his lips.

"What?" I asked

"Oh gosh.... Y/n... I'm so sorry...."

"I know it's sucks. I'm so fucked now." I groaned and slumped back in the chair "I probably won't be able to come back again either. I'm glad I got to see you before I go... And thanks for letting me in." I smiled slightly.

"I'm so sorry ...." Stefan's eyes were reddened and he locked eyes with me as tears welled in them.

"Hey... It's alright... Don't worry abut me. I've got a plan to get out of here and then it's a free stretch all the way home..."

"I think it might be my fault!" He blurted out

"What do you mean... Why would it have been you I-"

"There was a guy who came up to me and threatened Maggie. He made me tell him what went on between us and I...He must have been an MP"

"What....why would you ...Stefan... I trusted you...I told you not to tell anyone..."

"I didn't have a choice.... I didn't want him to hurt Maggie ...I didn't tell him who you were...just that we weren't together anymore..."

I was in disbelief. Had both people I trusted had handed me in. Maybe Zeke was right, they were just using me. I stood pulling the makeshift wrap from my ankle and throwing it to the ground.

"Y/n please... Don't go..." Stefan pleaded.

I shook my head.
I couldn't believe I'd allowed myself to be fucked over by not just Erwin but by Stefan too.

I walked to the door looking left and right. Maggie mewed in protest jumping off Stefan's lap as he stood and running over to me pawing at my leg

"Get off." I glared at her before leaving into the darkness. The violent winds sending a chill through me. MP's were patrolling every street. I'd have to find somewhere to rest for the night.

I was so drained. Everything I thought I knew about this place had just been one big lie. I sat down in a doorway taking off my cardigan and pulling it over my head to try to hide my identity. I pulled my knees to my chest and looked at the empty streets as leaves tumbled down them blown by the winds. My eyes unfocused and began to blur as more tears pricked at my eyes and I began to sob.

I covered my mouth with my hand trying to stay quiet but I only began to cry more
Remembering the night I had spent in Erwin's bed, how loved I'd felt in that moment and how real he had made it feel.

When had he told them? Was it before that? How long had he been waiting for them to arrest me? Was the man Stefan had spoken to really an MP? I guess I'd never get to find out.

I curled up tears flooding down my face and soaking into my hair and clothes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At some point I must have fallen asleep because I awoke to the bright sunshine shining onto my face as I lay in the doorway. I rubbed my eyes scrambling to my feet.

Shit.

I'd slept too long.

The MP's would certainly be out patrolling on full alert again by now.i cursed myself again jogging through the streets and slipping through a gap in the fence nearby the Scout's equipment storage.

Finding a hairpin buried in the long grass I carefully picked the lock swinging the shed's door open and grabbing the bag marked 'spare'. I pulled on the harness and shook the gas cannisters. Almost empty. I'd have to use it sparingly.

"OI! YOU!" A voice called out. "ITS HER!" Another rang out. I'd been spotted. I ran like hell. Or at least as fast as I could with the equipment. Although I didn't find it particularly heavy it was still pretty hard to move in. They were gaining on me as I vaulted the fence my adrenalin kicking in. I reverted my mind back to my training days.

If we didn't pass the training we didn't eat. Or at least that's what they threatened us with. We never took the chance to find out what would happen if we failed.

I continued running onlookers gasping and gawking at me as I ran.

The sound of horses hooves on the cobbles signified to me that the Survey Corps were also in pursuit. I'm not sure how I managed to stay ahead of them for as long as I did but somehow I pulled it off

I hoped Zeke would still be waiting for me along with the others or else there's no way I'd make it more than 10 feet outside.

I finally reached the wall and prayed that I had enough gas to get me up. I backed up against it as they halted having me surrounded from every other angle.