Chapter 36- I hear a symphony

Erwin sat and listened as I read out the letter. As I finished he returned back to looking at his paperwork without saying so much as a word.

"Well?" I asked, having expected him to be outraged. "Aren't you going to say something?"

"Like what? Did you think I would be angry that you saw someone else in our time apart?" Erwin replied "I can't judge you. I courted someone else too remember? Besides, as long as it seems like you two are getting back on good terms as friends again. I might finally be able to get my mail without having to go to the post depot."

I began to laugh. "He really took a disliking to you huh? I mean, I don't blame him. You did literally steal my heart away from him. Admittedly not your fault but still. As much as I love Stefan there's something about you that just makes me tick" I grinned.

"Oh?" Erwin raised an eyebrow "And what might that be? My physique, my charm, my...genius?" He said jokingly.

I felt a blush spread across.my cheeks, my imagination getting the better of me. "Don't flatter yourself...Maybe I just picked you so I could take more walks with the wild flowers."

"Well if that's what you came here for then I can't help but oblige." Erwin looked out the window "Although perhaps some other time. It seems like a storm is coming in. I'd hate for us to get caught in it."

"Ugh... Fine." I groaned. And went to sit back down a small yawn escaping my mouth. "I'm too tired anyway."

Erwin stretched. "I should also probably call it a night. I need to be awake early as usual tommorow. I'm leading a training exercise."

"Ooh very fancy." We both stood up and Made our way into the bedroom which was now more cramped than ever after Erwin convinced Levi to get some of the cadets to drag a bed for me to sleep on into the room as well as his own. In my own mind I didn't think it was necessary but I let it go on hopes that it would ease Erwin's mind and get us back on good terms quicker. And for the most part it seemed to have worked.

Erwin walked into the bathroom as I began to undress slipping on my night dress and folding my clothes into a neat pile which I placed on a nearby chair. The storm outside raged throwing hurls of rain against the window, rattling the panes of glass in their frames. As I got into my bed and began to pull up the blankets I heard the bathroom door creak open. I couldn't help but sneak a glance at Erwin's toned chest as he exited buttoning up his pajama shirt as he walked over to his own bed. His hair was combed put of it's usual slick style but it still remained out of his face.

"You were right, that storm seems pretty nasty." I said sheepishly as a chill washed over me and I pulled the blankets up around my shoulders.

"Of course I was. Im used to planning expeditions based on the weather." Erwin smiled simply. He pulled up his own blankets and settled down. "Good night y/n"

"Goodnight." I replied turning over and closing my eyes.

The bed was comfortable and warm. Much nicer than the one I had at my own home surprisingly. But despite all this I still couldn't sleep. Thunder boomed outside causing the building to murmur and creak. I clenched my eyes closed my hands balled into fists. I could still see the flashes of lighting through my eyelids. The curtains in this room did nothing to block out the light. I don't know how long I lay there waiting for the weather to calm so I could sleep but soon my eyes and fists began to ache and yet the storm raged on.

I opened my eyes turning onto my back and looking to the ceiling where the slivers of light shines the brightest. The sky flashed and crackled harshly, and I flinched. The low rumbling barely a breath behind. Bad weather had never phased me. To me it had always meant my friends were close by. As a child I would stay up to watch the storms noticing how the lightning that lit up the night sky was the similar as that of my friends Titan's. Somewhere along the line they blurred into one. Now hearing that familiar crackle sent me into overdrive. Was it really a storm or was Zeke barging his way through the walls to drag me home again? I didn't want to think about it.

I had risen from my bed and I stood close to the window narrowing my eye at the small fragment of light that had illuminated the ceiling. My mind buzzed in it's trance like state my body shaking.

Yet another streak of lighting flashed outside along with the sound of cracking wood caught both myself and the sleeping Erwin by surprise as he awoke suddenly and I tumbled to the floor.

"Y/n? Are you alright? What are you doing out of bed?" He grumbled his voice croaky from sleep.

"I...I don't like storms" I managed to say the words jumbled in my head.

I lifted myself off the floor and stumbled back toward my bed. Erwin caught my arm holding me up.

"Are you okay?" He asked. I shook my head honestly.

He paused opening his arm to me and pulling me close. My eyelids fluttered. His warm steady body pressed against my shaking one.

"There's nothing to be afraid of. It's just lightning." He stroked my hair, gently soothing me.

I leaned into him more, the exhaustion kicking in before I felt the weight of my body lighten.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Erwin supported y/n's weight, having made up his mind about the situation. Clearly she was terrified and she needed rest just as much as he did. If she felt safer with him closer to her then that's how it would have to be. He looked down at y/n's face her eyes blinking slowly fighting rest each time staying closed for slightly longer. He lowered her into his own bed pulling the covers around her before slipping in alongside her his arm holding her protectively. He wanted to shield her from her fear and it seemed to work as she was soon fast asleep.

He smiled softly placing a kiss upon her forehead closing his own eyes to get some much needed rest. She truly was special and he'd do whatever it took to have her beside him.