Chapter 62- Don't give up on me

Inside the walls. It was chaos. The bombs had woken the entire population who now we're screaming crying and shouting at the gates to the inner cities. Those inside Wall Sina were first to close their gates and of course they were. They were the upperclassmen, the ones with more money than sense. In their minds the more people the let in the less food and supplies they'd have for themselves, despite having far more than they needed.

Nile had been unlucky enough to still be at scout headquarters when they made the call. At least he could keep with the knowledge that Marie and his soon-to-be daughter would be safe in the interior.

The higher up's in the scout regiment all sat around together going over y/n's notes as quickly as they could..

"I doubt they'll take their time with their attack. Just as they did with Shiganshina they'll strike quick and be done." Miche chimed into the conversation.

"Y/n writes here that all of their Titans have some sort of hardening ability so using thunder Spears would be our only option. She also notes that the quadra-ped named "The Cart" would most likely be willing to make a deal with us." Hange read out.

Erwin sat silently nodding.

"Commander? What should our first move be?" Nanaba asked

Silence

"Erwin." Levi chimed in. Shoving Erwin in the shoulder to break his trance

"Sorry. I was uhh just thinking" he shook his head blearily his under eyes dark from lack of sleep.

"She'll be okay, " Nanaba reassured him. "She's a smart woman. Just as capable as you or I. If not more so. Besides she has allies with them. "

"Do you have orders?" Nile asked.

"Yes. We will prepare to leave immediately. We must gain ground before they get any closer to our walls." Erwin replied confidently.

"Your heard the Commander. Get to it. Assemble your squads and the new recruits too. Hange go and brief the medical sector." Levi looked a round the room as he spoke instructing everyone to go about their task.

~~~~~~~~~~

Hundreds of horses and hundreds of thousands of men on foot made their way beyond the gates and into the vast land beyond. Erwin led the pack and the scouts took up their usual formation.

Back inside the walls Nile had been left in charge of organising a secondary wave of troops as well as assessing the incoming attacks from the air.

The aim was to cover as much ground as quickly as possible. They were under the assumption that the enemy would already be well settled in whatever point of the vast countryside that had decided to occupy first and so knew that they had to do the same.

After several hours of travel they began to see smoke on the horizon and Erwin called a halt to the troops. They darent use flares or risk giving away their location.

After dismounting, everyone with a rank low enough to allow physical work was put to task digging ground and building.

"First priority is to give us somewhere to lie low invade they try to attack from the air again." Erwin addressed the troops who sprung into action

Dirt was shifted and large mounds where made as temporary shields. After 7 days the 8000 soldiers put to this task had dug just over 3000 miles of dug-outs and trenches scattered across the land.

During this time Paradise had lost many great soldiers defending them. They were used to fighting Titans, not people and what with Marley's superior advancements in tech they only just managed to hold their position.

Marley had lost men too almost as many as Paradis infact and now it seemed there was a pause in the battle where they began to regroup.

A couple hours into the silence. A sea bird flew over the heads of the soldiers. Attached to it's leg was a small cylinder containing blueprints. The bird soared through the air before landing neatly on Hange's outstretched arm. They petted it's head lovingly.

"There there Nigel. Aren't you pretty? What have you got for your master hm?" Hange cooed over the bird who pecked at their hair lovingly. Hange removed the note from it and turned to Levi triumphantly.

"And thus. We have weapons!" Hange announced "Or well, the plans for them."

"Good. Do we have the materials?" Levi asked not even turning to face them.

"No but I'll travel back with these and start on making them right away. With my team all working on them we should have at least a few in the next couple of days And if we use my favorite transport system. Maybe even quicker." Hange said with pleading eyes.

"We shouldn't waste Eren's power on transport, Four-Eyes." Levi replied causing Hange to act deflated.

"How about you're no fun....Shorty!" Hange spat sarcastically. Levi raised and eyebrow.

"Are you sure you want to be riling him up right now?" Miche warned from his post eyes just barely over the top of the pit his nose sniffing for signs of Titans or gunpowder.

"You should be going." Levi pointed to the dense woodland to the east of their location where they had been keeping the horses.

"I'm going. I'm going." Hange took off in a jog patting some of their crew on their backs as she went past summoning them to follow her so they could go back and work on these new weapons.

Shortly after Hange's squads departure the battle started up again. Some of the scouts took to the sky cutting the Marleyians down with their swords as best they could. But they were far outnumbered.

As they flew through the air they were shot mid-flight falling down to dangle by the wires from the trees. Bodies littered the landscape, majority of them from the scout regiment.

After several more days of battle Hange returned, having had help from those still within the walls, with enough rifles to comfortably supply their front lines at least.

Suddenly the battle seemed a little more even. Eren still hadn't been deployed and stayed nestled in a temporary bunker hearing the sound of battle but protected from it.

Erwin sat in the dug-out reading over more of y/n's notes trying to come up with a better strategy. The sun had long since set and he pulled out some matches to light a candle to see better by when the sky illuminated with a several streaks of yellow accompanied by a large plume of what looked like smoke.