Chapter 42- We don't talk anymore

The tension in the office could be cut with a knife. I sat in the corner holding a cold washcloth to my chin whilst Levi stood to attention on the receiving end of Erwin's disapproving glare.

"Captain. Your attitude towards your comrades and our guests has become unacceptable. I understand that your approach to teaching is a firm one but going so far as to gravely injure a member of the public who is here as a guest is a step too far." He explained calmly.

Levi scoffed in response.
"It was an accident. If I wanted to hurt her she wouldn't still be sitting here." Levi's face was contorted I to the scowl that had resided there ever since he found out I had returned.

"Levi. You'd do well to remember that you haven't always been Captain. Misconduct is adequate means for demotion. I don't want to lose you as my second in command but if this continues then I may have no choice." Erwin had begun to lose his cool over Levi's threats towards me. It was almost funny to see him so protective. Although it was understandable. After all, he didn't know how many times I'd beaten Porco in an arm wrestle.

"Misconduct? Misconduct? Ha. What a joke. If you want to talk about misconduct how about we talk about how you've allowed a spy to stay here with us!? In your OWN bedroom! How about that?" Levi said angrily through gritted teeth. His rage was boiling again I hoped that this wouldn't turn into a dog fight, Chihuahua vs Labrador. As much as that would be great entertainment I sensed that Levi would have to upper hand due to Erwins... Missing one.

"You know as well as anyone that people's loyalties can change. I think you forget how you and I first met. Weren't you the one who said you wanted to kill me? You were hired to do so infact." Erwin retorted rubbing salt into a wound. He really could be harsh. Comparing Levi to me was probably a big mistake considering how he appeared to despise me.

"Spare it, Erwin. I have very little space for talking on my past in this conversation" Levi calmed himself rolling his eyes. I was impressed.

"Fine. Then let's get back to the matter at hand. What happened?" Erwin leaned back in his chair. Phew. No dog fight today. I didn't want to be picking up the tiny pieces of Erwin that Levi would leave behind if they did get into it.

"Cadet Kirschtein abandoned his cleaning duties without permission by sneaking out the window aided by Miss L/n. As soon as I discovered what had happened I was going to call out to him from inside the building to return to his duties but Miss y/n held me back with incredible force." Erwin's eyes looked over to me as Levi mentioned my name.
"I resisted this and in doing so accidentally grazed Miss L/n's chin. Once outside Cadet Kirschtein mistook my annoyance for anger and began wailing like a newborn." Levi was stretching the truth... Interesting. Clearly he didn't want to be in trouble with Erwin. But was that because of his admiration for him or just because he didn't want to get demoted. I couldn't quite tell.

"Right. Miss y/n please tell me what really happened."

He was looking over at me as I was lost in thought. His eyes waiting for me to tell him the truth.

"Oh right. Uhh Erw- Commander, the Captain just told you. I held him back. It really was my fault. I shouldn't have interfered and I deeply apologize." Maybe if I got Levi out of this then he's like me more. I doubted that, but it was worth a shot.

"Y/n there really is no need for you to cover for him. Behaviour like this is not tolerated within the Survey Corps, Captain or not he must face consequence for his action." Erwin replied still thinking both of us were lying. Levi didn't even look at me. Typical.

"Erwin!" I raised my voice. "I have told you once and I shall tell you a thousand times that what the Captain has told is the truth. I swear it. I claim full responsibility to my injury and to be honest, you're really making a big deal out of nothing. I've had far worse dealt to me by my own comrades than a small bruise."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the dining hall, Jean, Sasha and Connie along with Marco sat opposite Amy and some of the other new recruits.

Jean and Amy made small talk over dinner while Connie and Sasha had already finished eating and now we're telling each other poop and fart jokes to pass the time.

Marco sat to the far end of the table getting to know the new recruits and trying to make them feel as welcome as possible with his welcoming smile and friendly personality.

"So tell me where you all come from? You said you all come from the same place right?" He asked the three new recruits at the table.

The blonde muscular man with weary eyes spoke hesitantly almost like he wasn't sure how to respond.

"U-uh... We're from...uhh"

He was interrupted by the tallest of the three, a brunette lankier looking man who also answered suspiciously.

"Far away...we're from far away"

The blonde girl rolled her eyes before speaking up.

"We're from the mountains. Far away in the north mountains. That's what they meant."

"Oh, really? Some of us are from round there too! Maybe there's someone else here from your village." Marco stood up to address the room "Hey! Guys, anyone else-"

The blonde girl grabbed Marco's arm pulling him back down into his seat.

"Hey. We'd really rather not talk too much about our hometown if that's alright. It's a bit of a touchy subject." She motioned with her eyes to the blonde man who appeared to be having some sort of internal crisis.

"Right sorry. I understand. Still, if you ever  need someone to talk to, I'm a great listener! Or at least I'd like to think so. It was nice meeting you..." Marco stood to leave

"Annie." The blonde extended her hand to shake Marco's "The tall one is Bertholdt and the big one is Reiner."

Marco gave a brief nod.
"Annie, Bertholdt and Reiner. Got it. I'll....see you around..." Something about them made him nervous but he out on a brave smile before leaving the dining hall.

"Get it under control Reiner or I swear I'll knock it out of you myself." Annie whispered to Reiner in annoyance that they had almost aroused Marco's suspicions.

"I... I will... Sorry." Reiner responded.

"Good. Remember what we're here for. We'll get to go home eventually." She replied standing up. "Let's go."