Chapter 65- Till Forever Falls Apart

The sky was streaked with the yellow of the sunset as the citizens ran for their lives clawing at the gates trying to gain access to the inner walls. Some had given up going back to their homes to be with their loved ones fearing that this may be the end.

Stefan has been one of these people. He, however, opted to trust in the military to win and calmed himself with the knowledge that y/n was most likely tucked up in bed blissfully unaware of the war that loomed over the lives of those in Paradis. Maggie interrupted his thoughts as she mewed at the door asking to be let out.

"Not now Maggie, It's not safe out there right now," Stefan replied to her his nose buried in a book.

She continued to mew pawing at Stefan's leg.

He listened for sounds of danger but it seemed mostly silent.
"Alright, alright. Fine. But don't go too far."
He rose from his armchair by the fire and opened the back door letting Maggie onto the street outside with was deadly quiet save from the odd gunshot in the distance.
He turned closed the door and returned to his armchair.

"God I hope this will be over soon. I bet the post office is backed up like nobody's business." He pressed his warm cheek to the cold glass breathing on it and drawing a smiley face. Before picking up the book he had been reading and continued.

Several hours had passed and Maggie had not returned, Stefan checked his watch with concern.He closed his book rubbing his tired eyes the fire almost completely gone out and set about putting on his coat and shoes. The sun was setting and he shivered hoping that Maggie was just out adventuring like normal and not hurt or stuck somewhere.Opening the door he was met with a cold night chill.

"Maggie?" He called into the darkness shaking his head and returning back inside to get a lantern.

He opened the glass hatch and lit a match lighting the oil burner inside before closing the glass hatch once again.

He walked through the desolate streets cooing and calling for Maggie on every corner but there was no reply.
The gunshots seemed louder now, almost closer he thought to himself.

Stefan found himself, in the early hours of the morning, opening the doors to abandoned houses thinking maybe Maggie had gone inside to escape the noise and the freezing winds.Just when he had almost lost hope he saw a fluffy tabby tail disappearing around a corner and down an alley

"Maggie!" He called out giving chase as the cat meandered seemingly unaware of her owner's concern. "Thank God you're okay!" Once he caught up to her he scooped her up nuzzling into her warm fur as she began to purr and rub her face on his neck.

"Let's get you home." He said through a stifled yawn. Picking up the lantern which he had set down on the cobbles long sicne burnt out and began the walk back to their home.

Luckily Stefan seemed to have been searching in a complete circle as they were not too far from the small cottage.

Placing the vibrating ball of fluff onto the ground as they walked side by side for the remainder of the walk. Maggie rubbed against his legs and occasionally broke away to jump up onto a stack of crates or a small wall.

Stefan paused to look at the sky that lay above the tops of the walls. Pitch black and littered with glinting specks of starlight. He smiled. A perfect night for stargazing.Maggie had paused too. The stars reflected in her green eyes. And she tilted her head appearing to mimic Stefan.

Yellow lightning rocketed across the sky in larger sprawled veins. A crashing sound accompanied them.Maggie meowed in fear jumping and skitting away cussing Stefan to jump in shock.

"Hey, Maggie! Come back!" He called after her too exhausted to make chase.
He sighed worry dripping through his veins. He trudged on watching clouds of steam rise from just beyond the walls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My hands grabbed at the singed grass pulling my tired body up out of the pit I had hidden in from the blast.I grazed the bone of some poor soul who hadn't been quick enough.

I looked up spotting the Armoured Titan's large legs stomping their way through the forest to my right, headed straight for Trost.I scrambled to my feet my knees bloodied and bruised wiping the sweat from my forehead as I began to run.

I had to help them. I had to stop Reiner before he got to Scout HQ. To the rest of the citizens. To....

No.

No

No

No

Id get there.

It would be fine.

Everything would be just fine.

I dodged chunks of flying earth that flew up as thunder spears were aimed for, and smacked to the ground. Nigel flew overhead cawing at me to stop a scroll attached to his foot. I ignored him pushing on further.

"I don't have time for you right now. I'm going there anyway so just go away!" I tripped on the mangled carcass of a horse. Tumbling through the air ramming my foot downwards to catch myself. Pain shot through my twisted ankle and I fell to the ground once more my body caked in blood and dirt.

This was a nightmare. It had to be. I pulled myself up onto my forearms and began to crawl on my stomach. Not far now. Just a bit further. My thoughts rang through my head trying to will myself to keep going. I tumbled down into a pit startled voices yelling and the sounds of rifles loading brought me to my senses.

The faces of dishevelled looking scouts peered over me their guns pointed.

"Wait! wait please don't shoot!" I called out.

"Y/N?" A small voice responded my eyes blurred as blood trickled into my eyes.

I felt someone kneel beside me a damp cloth was wiped across my eyes to clear the grime and I looked up into the worried face of Marco who handed me a canteen of water which I gulped down before speaking.

"Marco. We have to hurry. The armoured titan he's going to-"

"Y/n don't worry. He won't get past us. we've got weapons." He patted my shoulder reassuringly.

"He's not headed for you, he's headed for the wall He's headed for Trost!"

"....I...I don't know what to say..."

"Where's Erwin. I-"

"He's not around right now. He went with some of the other scouts back to Trost a few days ago."

"Fine, then take me to Trost. I have to stop Reiner. I can get through to him and stop him before-"

"Okay okay, let's go." He looked around at the other soldiers. "I'm leaving Marlo in charge. If anyone asks, I took someone back for medical. Understood?"

"YES SIR!" The rest of the soldiers replied taking back their positions as Marco hoisted me to my feet holding me up and walking with me to some horses nearby.

"They're too slow. Use your ODM." I commanded.

"Y/N. I CAN'T DO THAT! We have limited gas, I'm already disobeying orer and Commander Erwin said-" I cut him off

"MARCO! If you don't get me to those walls in the next 10 minutes There won't be a commander Erwin. Got it" I stated

"Right, right. Hold on tight then." Marco took off into the air his ODM catching onto the few trees that remained scattered and the shells of blown out, buildings.