Chapter 85 | cawing of murderous crows

---------------------> FROST ENTERED LYRA'S EYES as she arrived at a conclusion

---------------------> FROST ENTERED LYRA'S EYES as she arrived at a conclusion. She tore the envelope, prying it open and fishing out the letter, before reminding herself that although she may be burying a hatchet, she must keep a map of their location. But then again...

Why did she have to bury a hatchet in the first place? Why did she have to cast aside her fury prematurely, just because she was needed? Why was she called on only when she was needed, like a pathetic yet important house-elf?

She glimpsed back at the folded piece of paper which tempted her to read it. Then, she glanced at the embers in the fireplace, and discarded Narcissa's letter into it, allowing it to be consumed by the flames. She averted her attention to Theodore's letter and filed a reminder in her mind to write him a thank-you note, before sifting through the remaining stack of envelopes she had received.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

For the first time since the incident with Thomas Nott, Narcissa slept well. She had established herself as a force among the students belonging to Slytherin, and been firm in front of the members of the Court, whose loyalty towards their practised traditions seemed to reduce with every whisper of the Dark Lord. Narcissa had left her mark on the legacy, proving that she was more ruthless than Lyra, who had ruled with an iron hand for the past seven years. Narcissa had no reason to worry, no reason to be concerned, nothing to ponder over. So, sleep had come easy that night, and Narcissa had welcomed it.

But in the pale rays of the morning sun, after Narcissa had finished getting dressed and was about to head for classes, an owl flew in, dropped a letter and sped away before the venomous snake in Narcissa's room could make it its meal.

Narcissa's initial reaction had been to stare at the letter with furrowed brows. She hadn't been expecting any letters so soon. Then, a ghost of a smile danced on her petal lips. It must have been congratulatory letters from her Great Uncle Arcturus. Her Great Uncle had lent her an ear as she informed him of the situation and had provided encouraging words to motivate her to solve her situation by herself. She was grateful to him for that. At first, she had desired that he smooth things over between the two houses. But her Great Uncle had helped her realise that this was something she had to do alone. 

She had to stand high like a pillar with her chin raised in pride so nobody could claim she was weak, that she was incapable of doing anything without asking for help. Furthermore, he had reminded Narcissa that the weight of the mighty House of Black was behind her. Even if she fell, they would help her stand, but she was the one who would have to walk.

After much debating, Narcissa had coined a plan. Killing him would be an attack that the House of Nott would take great offence over, not to mention, she could be tried in a court of law due to it. It would work against her considering everyone knew that she and Theodore Nott were at odds now. However, making him suffer was another thing entirely.