Chapter 91 | faster than the wind, passionate as sin, ending so suddenly

---------------------> THE BROOM JUMPING CEREMONY OCCURRED when sunlight kissed the grass

---------------------> THE BROOM JUMPING CEREMONY OCCURRED when sunlight kissed the grass. A non-flying broom leaned across the doorway of the Malfoy Manor, front entrance. The belief went, if the newly wedded couple could cross the threshold without knocking the broom, it was a good omen for their life together ahead. Otherwise, rocky roads and stormy seas would greet them instead.

Lyra pulled up the white, layered skirt of her wedding dress a bit to facilitate the wonderful process of not-tripping-over-and-landing-on-her-face. Lucius wrapped an arm around Lyra's waist and used the one to hold her arm, also contributing to attempts to avoid her falling.

Lady Fortuna was on their side and they jumped over successfully, rippling applause and cheers.

A feast for the gods had been laid out in the dining room, from chocolate waffles and pancakes with golden syrup to eggs Benedict and stripes of meat. In three-tier platters, rainbow-coloured macaroons, cut fruits and bite-sized sandwiches had been presented. Steaming bowls of soup, tall glasses of elvish wine, tea and fruit juice were also served.

After breakfast, they returned to the sprawling gardens of Malfoy Manor, sporadically occupied by the prized peacocks. None of them left to do other work. After all, it wasn't every day that a member of their family—or dear friends, in the case of a few—got married, so they intended to celebrate freely and excessively.

Chairs had been brought from the dining room to the patio, arranged in a large circle, inside which stood the bride and the groom. This particular design had been created to accommodate Lyra, who had to stand because sitting while wearing such a dress was impossible, and her legs hurt but her smile was real and wide.

The Blacks, Petrov, Cassandra, Theodore and Dennis were seated. Her father-in-law had to be wizard-handled to bed by her mother-in-law when he drank a little too much elvish wine and got into her father's face, screaming, "I told you they'd get married! I told you Lyra would be my daughter-in-law!"

Her mother-in-law had looked like she was preparing herself to be a widow.

Lucius had made motions with his hands to his mother that suggested he loved his father alive and to please get him out soon, I don't want him to further embarrass me in front of the in-laws who aren't too fond of me already.

Once the two older Malfoys had left, her father had stood up, proclaiming he had something to share.

"When Lyra was little, she had a humongous stuffed lion toy that she absolutely loved—and thank you, Charlus, for buying that for a girl whose entire family back then was in Slytherin and promoting your damned Gryffindor agenda." Her father scowled.

"You're very welcome!" Uncle Charlus grinned.

Her father's brows furrowed. He opened his mouth to argue but Lyra cut him off by saying, "I did? I don't remember having a lion toy."