Chapter 4

-------------------> "THE SLYTHERIN COURT," he whispered breathlessly

"Yes," replied Nott in the same tone of voice.

Suddenly, there were figures taking their seats in the Court, either silver or green. They were all wearing a black hood, so it was impossible to make out their faces. Within a minute, every seat was filled, including the King and Queen's.

"Welcome to the Slytherin Court," said a voice that came from the 3rd silver seat on Severus' left. "We are aware that you are tired, but it is mandatory that you know the basic workings of the Court as early as possible."

"Why are we seated in seats made of silver or green, you may wonder?" said a voice on the third seat to the right. "The seats of the King and Queen differ whenever a new ruler is chosen. The King and Queen are held on an equal pedestal, yes. However, when a new king or Queen is chosen, there is a duel between them both. The winner claims the Silver throne, the other claims the Green. In rare cases where the King and Queen are having differences in opinions, the one claiming the Silver Throne wins. The Nobles in the Silver seats are chosen by the Winner, and the Nobles in the Green are chosen by the other."

"There are only three ways to become a King or Queen. The first is in the case that you are a direct descendent of Salazar Slytherin. The second, is that the previous Ruler recommends his or her successor and after a... test, the new Ruler is crowned. This was the condition in which our King was chosen," said the one in the third right.

The person sitting in the Green Throne lifted their hood, revealing... Prefect Malfoy!

Severus was shocked. But, to be honest, it was believable. The prefect was, after all, the Scion of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Malfoy.

The King looked at them with cold eyes, blank face and regarded them with a nod.

'Wait...' thought Severus. 'the King was in the Green Throne. That would mean the Queen is in the Silver one?'

The speaker continued, "The last and most uncommon way of becoming a Ruler, is to challenge the existing Ruler for a duel. However, if the challenger loses, he or she shall be shunned from House Slytherin. If the challenger wins, he or she takes the place of the existing Ruler. This was how our current Queen came to power when she challenged the previous Queen on the first day of her first year and won."

Severus was shocked. First day, first year a duel and winning?

The person on the Silver Throne removed the hood to reveal... Prefect Black!

Severus, with great difficulty, managed to stop his mouth from falling off and his eyes from bulging out.

The Queen regarded them with a lazy smirk on her beautiful face.

"Let us reveal the Court," she said simply.

The people sitting right next to the King and Queen stood up and revealed their hoods.