Chapter 66

----------------------> THE SEVENTH YEAR SLYTHERINS sat together on a table at a corner of the library at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

----------------------> THE SEVENTH YEAR SLYTHERINS sat together on a table at a corner of the library at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. As each spring day passed, their stress grew with their N.E.W.Ts coming closer. In the present graduating batch, ambitions were large and subsequently, so was their workload.

During the inauguration ceremony of the Slytherins, the King and Queen were always clear that they had to do well in their studies. Even a student who wasn't particularly academically gifted had to work hard, take tutoring sessions and basically, do whatever they had to so they could succeed. There was no way that one person was going to be the reason the entire House of Slytherin earned a bad name.

On their path to greatness, to achieve victory, Slytherins were known to go through any means to emerge strong whether it be fair or unfair. However, they loathed laziness. So if anybody expected that being in Slytherin would allow them to lead a lovely life while doing nothing, they were in for quite the shock.

Study groups were formed within the first two days of school and by the end of the week, every snake was taught whatever they were scheduled to learn for that whole month by their remorseless seniors with the intention that the students could answer all the questions and perform all the spells correctly at their first go in class so they could gain plenty of points for Slytherin and more importantly, not embarrass themselves in front of the other houses.

Those study groups would be carried on until they graduated so those who were fortunate enough to have been selected to study with Lyra Black thanked all their stars that they were.

Lyra was by no means a patient teacher. If somebody didn't understand a concept, she would explain it to them once and ask them to repeat. If they weren't able to recite a perfect reflection of her words, she would make them write it down ten times and if they refused, would casually inform them about the lovely spells created by her slightly insane family. They would go quiet and do whatever she asked after that.

She was also not a kind teacher in any definition. She loaded them with more practice tests and assignments than their actual professors and fixed them under a glare powerful enough to make Medusa cower if they answered any questions incorrectly. 

In fact, the five students studying with Lyra liked to joke that the only reason they did so well in their exams was to not face Lyra's wrath. Whatever their motivation may have been, the result was the same: they were part of the top twenty in their year and their marks were always outstanding.

"Dennis," Lyra suddenly called out, prompting the boy who had previously been reading to snap his neck to meet her face. "What are the ingredients needed to make a polyjuice potion? Also, give a detailed explanation of why each of them is used and the method with which it is created."

Dennis blinked, his mind going blank upon being put under the spotlight while the rest of the members of the study group gave him sympathetic looks, having had first-hand experience at the mortifying feeling of being directed a flat stare by Lyra.