Chapter 5

-------------------> JUST AS INSTRUCTED BY THE KING AND QUEEN, all the first year Slytherins were up at the break of dawn. They had made their way to the common room to find Prefect Parkinson already seated in one of the chairs.

His eyes were blissfully closed, his head was slightly thrown back and he was breathing calmly.

"Is he asleep?" whispered Dolan to Snape.

"No, he is not," replied Parkinson, who now had his eyes open. 

He sat up a bit more straight and pushed his shoulder's back. He regarded all of them cooly with his dark eyes, but said nothing else.

Prefect Bulstrode joined him a few minutes later, and together they gave them a speech on how to study harder, tricks to navigate the castle, the to do's and not to do's, the usual.

However, they specifically stressed on the concepts that the Snakes must trust each other with their life, unity and faith.

"You have heard the rumours about us, yeah?" Bulstrode had asked. "How we are the devil worshipers, practise dark arts like we breathe air and are cold, heartless, manipulative and evil?"

The first years said nothing.

Parkinson had rolled his eyes, "What Valarie wants to say is that we won't judge you. We have been called every word in the dictionary, mostly bad ones. You want to practise the dark arts, we will recommend you books; you want to start a protest, we will be the first to join you; you want to be happy, we will tell you something funny; someone hurt you, give us a name and we will hurt them; you want to kill somebody, and we will not only cover up the murder, but will most likely give you a weapon to commit murder."

"The point is," started Bulstrode. "Even if sometimes you feel the whole world is against you, we will be by your side. If you want a father, mother, sister, brother; then that is what we will be. We all know what it feels like to be outcasts. In fact, the second the Hat screams 'Slytherin', you are branded as evil. Bottom line is, you can count on us to look after you, no matter what."

"However," continued Parkinson, "Here are a few things that we can not help you with:"

And with that, Bulstode and Parkinson each took turns giving the first years advise and things that they should not attempt no matter what.

Each of the firsties noted each point with utmost concentration and seriousness. 

"Lastly," said Parkinson. "the common room password is 'Angius'-latin for snake. Do not under any circumstances forget or tell anybody the password."

"You lot must be hungry now... It's already 8. Let's go down for breakfast. But before we do, do you have any questions?" asked Bulstrode.

"Don't we have to wait for the other Slytherins?" asked Severus curiously.

"No, as long as you travel in a group of minimum three members, then it's all good. At dinner, however, we do dine and leave together; but other than that, it is not really necessary." replied Bulstrode.

Severus nodded and followed the two Prefects as they led the first years out of the common room and into the Great Hall.

Some teachers were already there and eating. The Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff tables were full to the brim and everybody were chattering away happily.

The Gryffindor Table was loud and noisy, and everybody had identical huge smiles or grins on their faces.

The Slytherin Table all had students dressed neat and prim with perfect postures. Each were chewing with their mouth closed and had perfect table manners. 

Towards the beginning of the Table, sat the King and Queen across each other. The Queen was sitting towards the wall, so she had a view of the whole hall. 

She was beautiful. 

Her hair in what he had heard Lily call a dutch braid, her cheeks flushed slightly, her mouth curved into a small smile, dimples showing and sparkling eyes.

The King's hair was gelled expertly and his mouth carried a secretive smirk. His pale sculpted features would sometimes glare under the light, giving it a polished look. He was very handsome, and Severus could see many of his first year females blushing when they looked at him, similar expressions to the males with her.

They made quite the pair.

Most of the Slytherins had already eaten by the time the first years had come to the Great Hall, (Severus understood that they happened to eat very early) and they were all just sitting there and talking to each other.

The Prefects gave them a nod, before they left to join the Court, and the first years took this as a cue to seat themselves.

Severus found himself seated between Rabastan Lestrange, the younger brother of Heir Apparent Rudolphous Lestrange and Thomas Nott.

The food was delicious, as to be expected. Apparently it was an unspoken rule in House Slytherin that talking while eating was rude.

So, after eating, all the first years started to make polite conversation with each other.

"So, I have never heard of a Snape before." commented Rabastan casually.

Severus instantly understood the unspoken words.

"My mother was careless and rebellious in her youth and sadly, married a muggle who she now detests." replied Severus with a disgusted look on his face.

Rabastan raised an eyebrow, "Is that so? Your mother- was she one of our kind?

Severus nodded, "A Prince."

Thomas Nott's face curved into a smirk, "The prodigal daughter? Eileen Prince?"

Severus nodded.

"She regrets it, you say?" asked Nott.

Severus nodded once again. "As do I. I simply detest him. Muggles are all so useless."

Lestrange and Nott smirked and Severus knew that they had accepted him. 

Although they would technically have to accept him anyway because of Slytherin House unity and all; however, he now knew that he was at least in their good graces and if he continued to please them, he might have very strong allies and in the course of time, friends.

Lestrange, Nott and Severus started conversing after that. They talked about dreams, goals, expectations and excitement. The other first years had also gradually began to take part in the conversation and at that moment, Severus could proudly say that he had made a good impression on them all.

Until, someone spoke. The someone who would be able to make his entire reputation in the House Slytherin end before it even started.

"Hey Sev!" said Lily Evans as she hugged him from behind.