Chapter 89 | champagne problems

-----------------------> SOMETHING FUN turned out to be a game of Capture the Flag

"Kids versus adults?" James suggested when they had to be split into teams.

"Blacks versus non-Blacks?" Sirius said instead, looking at Dorea and Lyra. "Or Slytherins versus Gryffindors?"

"We don't have enough Slytherins," Lyra pointed out. "It's just me and Aunt Dorea."

"And the two of you are enough," said James, theatrically shuddering, and bringing Lyra and Dorea to roll their eyes in a union.

"How about Potters versus non-Potters?" Remus chimed.

Charlus nodded. "That's a good idea."

"No it's not," disagreed James, lips twisting into a grimace. "I don't want to be on the same team as my mum and dad."

"I'll buy ice cream for all those on my team whether we win or lose."

"I'd love to be on the same team as my mum and dad!" James grinned, standing with his parents.

Lyra shook her head fondly. "Right, anywho. We'll take the blue flag—" Really, their flags were just a piece of cloth tied to a long stick "—and you take the red one."

"Sounds good," said Dorea as James and Remus picked up their respective team's flags. Then, Dorea gestured to the span of the yard before them, clothed in green grass and dotted with towering trees. "Ten minutes to hide the flags and strategise, then the game starts. The first team to capture their opponent's flag and place it beside their own wins, so it's vital to guard your flag as much as it is to capture your opponents. Everyone with me so far?"

When they nodded their heads, Dorea continued: "And here are the rules: no using any spell that isn't taught by the fourth year at Hogwarts, just to be fair. Additionally, no summoning spells or levitation spells or invisibility spells or any lethal spell." Dorea locked eyes with her god-daughter and sniffed. "And no using healing spells as well."

Lyra pouted.

Sirius raised his hand. "I have a question."

Dorea nodded at him. "Do ask."

"Can we hit people with a knife?"

"No."

"Just a little bit?"

"No," denied Dorea, before clapping her hands together. "Alright, any other questions?"

Sirius raised his hand again. "I have another question."

Dorea sighed, sniffing as she pinched the bridge of her nose. "Go ahead."

"Could we throw objects at other people?"

"Depends on the object. A feather? Yes. A piano? No."

"Oh." Sirius put his hand down.

Lyra patted her brother's back comfortingly. "I think we all understood these unfair rules," she said. "Let's start?"