Chapter 35

-------------------> AND JUST LIKE THAT, her once fun-filled summer flipped around to be one filled with legal research

On their first day, every member had been assigned a topic to research and prepare a summarised report on, using their connections, newspapers, other books or whatever other material they desired to use.

Lyra and Lucius would routinely check their progress, adding more information to their connections from the Ministry and other little details that they felt would do rather nicely.

They had only two weeks to put everything together.

The Wizengamot worked in a curiously odd way. They would meet every Wednesdays for a general briefing, where bills would be written, laws would be voted on, sentences of criminals would be judged and discussions regarding matters of all fields would be held.

After a bill had been introduced by one of the factions of the Wizengamot, the other two factions were given a 14-day notice to ponder over it, after which it would be voted on.

The Royal Slytherin Court shadowed all these proceedings and played the role of a 'wild card' in such matters since although they could not vote themselves, under Clause 149 of the Rules and Regulations of the Wizengamot, the Court was allowed to give a presentation and express their views on a bill that was to be voted.

This was done in order to promote the Youth of England movement, all the way back when her grandfather had been her age and was initially put into order because the lawmakers realised that the youth tended to provide a fresher perspective on things and considering the fact that they were the future of the country, they felt that the youth had to have some say in how they would live.

The Court did not play this clause much. The last time it had been used was in the '30s when there was a rumour that Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was to be shut down, and it hadn't been used ever since.

But considering that this new bill would essentially have the power to destroy the relationship of an innocent parent and child, the Court would definitely interfere. It would be cruel if they had just let this bill pass without doing their best to either stop it or make some changes to it.

Because, as Lyra had mentioned before, it was that one word.

Improper.

It was just a simple eight-letter word that had the capability of destroying bonds formed by families since the conditions to deem a family 'improper' hadn't been elaborated.

And while she knew that both her grandfathers were more than capable of seeing to it that this mistake was brought to light, she couldn't help but think that this wasn't their mistake to correct.

After all, perhaps she was looking too much into this but was it a coincidence that this bill had been pushed by the light faction only a day after Lord Rodrick of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lestrange had given a statement to the Daily Prophet that, "A revolution is coming, and we must do all we can to support the cause. We are above all others, why must we contemplate otherwise? Parents are the guiding hand to children. They look up to us. So we should push them in the right direction and make sure that they know their worth."