Chapter 54

-----------------------> CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEFS, there were actually many types of duels, the most famous of which was formal duelling- the kind that took place in Round One

-----------------------> CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEFS, there were actually many types of duels, the most famous of which was formal duelling- the kind that took place in Round One. In formal duelling, the participants could only use their wands as their offence and defence. The objective was to either disarm, stun, injure, defeat, or kill each other in order to force submission, and thus a winner would be decided. However, to make it more audience-friendly, duelling tournaments restricted the use of unforgivables, summoning anything from outside the ring and killing. Polar to this was informal duelling, also known as free duelling. In free duelling, one could use both their wand and physically fight their opponent if they wished and just like their more civilised companion, no unforgivable or summoning could be used. It was important to note that free duelling was also illegal in Britain.

Personally, Lyra enjoyed the third type of duelling, called translucent duelling for some odd reason, which involved a battle of the individual branches of magic with each branch having its own method of duelling. It was vast and a tad confusing, but it was lovely to watch.

In a proper duelling tournament, there would traditionally be three (arithmetically, a powerful number) rounds featuring all three types of duelling. Usually, the first would be formal duelling, the second would be translucent duelling while the third would be free duelling.

However, since free duelling was sadly illegal in Britain, the last round would be yet another try of formal duelling.

Before the second round of the tournament began, the referee called both Lyra and her opponent, seventy-three-year-old Edgar Macmillan towards him and asked them which branch of magic they would like to duel in.

"Transfiguration," Edgar told him confidently before turning to Lyra. "Would you like to change it?"

Lyra shook her head. "No, I like transfiguration as well."

"Excellent!" The referee exclaimed with a clap of his hands. "I'm glad the two of you agreed on a branch so quickly. Usually, the competitors argue about it forever without compromising."

"I think the duel will be quite interesting then, don't you?" Lyra drawled, a smirk dancing on her lips. "After all, if both of us agree without protest, doesn't that mean that we are confident with our skills in the branch of magic?"

Edgar laughed. "I couldn't agree more." He said with a grin. "You truly are so much like my sister!"

Lyra smiled at the good-natured compliment, but the Slytherin in her that wished to be the best and only person recognised wanted his blood.

------> 0o0 <------

Transfiguration translucent duelling did not mean that they took turns transfiguring each other and Lyra was fully prepared to hex any ignorant person with magic flowing in their veins who assumed such.