Chapter 49

-------------------> USUALLY, AT THIS TIME, Lyra would have been in Astrum and playing in the blue-green ocean waters with her brothers and cousins

-------------------> USUALLY, AT THIS TIME, Lyra would have been in Astrum and playing in the blue-green ocean waters with her brothers and cousins. Now, however, she was standing in the grounds of Lestrange Manor and bearing witness to the wedding ceremony of Bellatrix Black and Heir Apparent Rodolphus Lestrange.

The match was perfect on paper. The bride and groom were wealthy, pureblood, a part of the Sacred 28, attractive, powerful and intelligent. Lyra also knew that Rudolphous adored Bellatrix to bits and felt that the only thing that would make the match flawless in real life as well, was if her dear cousin would be so kind to return her almost-husband's affections.

Nevertheless, she along with everybody else cheered for the newly-weds and congratulated them after the ceremony was over.

"It's funny to think that it will be us in a situation like this in a few years," Lucius told her, a smile painted on his face.

Lyra scoffed in disbelief but the playful tone she used to make her statement ruined the effect. "If my proposal isn't grand and large, then we won't be getting married at all, I can assure you."

Lucius rolled his eyes. "I know, I've learnt my lesson, and I can assure you it won't be repeated."

"It better not."

"It really won't," Lucius confirmed before a thoughtful look painted itself on his face. "You know, if you want a grand proposal story, then maybe we can break tradition and have you propose to me."

Lyra's eyes shined with mirth as she gasped dramatically and placed a hand on her heart. "Oh, my- Did I hear that historical comment correctly? Did a Malfoy just say that we should break tradition! I must surely be either dreaming or dead."

Lucius shrugged, even as a small smirk made itself visible at the corners of his lips. "It will be a fun story to tell and besides, to quote your Gryffindor brother, what is tradition but peer pressure from dead people?"

"Ssh," Lyra whispered with a finger on her lips as her eyes twinkled. "Lower your voice. Most people here won't hesitate to crucio you for that statement."

"Technically, it's your brother's statement."

"Yes, but you're the one who said it out loud. Publicly, if I might add."

Lucius winked before clearing his throat. "But I'm serious-"

"-Just because you took my brother's statement doesn't mean you should take his identity as well-"

"-I'm not kidding," Lucius smoothly corrected, "when I said that you can propose to me. In fact," he said as his eyes lit up with an idea. "Let's propose to each other." He declared.

Lyra tilted her head. "Really?"

Lucius nodded. "Yes. Both of us, when the time comes, propose to each other. We'll make it grand, big, amazing and whatever synonyms you wish to add. The best proposal gets bragging rights. That way, you'll have just as much pressure on this matter as I will." He paused, letting her think over it carefully. "So, what do you say?"