Chapter 20

The next morning, I woke up still having a knot in my stomach. Today was the day that I will be dressing up as a nurse to go, and maybe get some information, from the guy the team retrieved from the HYDRA HQ the previous day. I had a really really bad feeling about it and I didn't know why, but I got to trust my instincts since most of the time I was always right about the situation being not okay.

I heard a knock on my door, as I was straightening the nurse atire that they had given me and I open the door to a really surprised Nat,

"Hey there doc." she said holding a laugh, I rolled my eyes at her playfully,

"I am not a doc, I am a nurse." I said emphasising the 'a', she went towards to Aly's crib and took her in her arms, I had already dressed her up for a fun day at day care.

"Let's got for breakfast and afterwards we will prep you with all the tec we need in case anything happens." she said smiling at me, and I could clearly see she was concerned about the whole thing, I turned towards her and put a hand on her shoulder,

"Nat, I am going to be fine." I tell her trying to reassure her, and she just gave me half a smile, as we made our way towards the kitchen, we didn't say anything, we just enjoyed our silence and let each other get lost in her own mind.

"Good morning guys." we heard Sam say as we entered the kitchen and we smiled at him and greeted him,

"Hi Mia." said Clint coming towards me and hugging me, "how are you feeling." I pulled back smiling nervously and replied,

"I am so nervous, but I guess once there I'll be fine." I took a sit as I said it and saw Tony coming towards me, it was really not the moment for him to try and talk to me or apologize again,

"I am sure you will do great." he just said not looking at me, sadness in his voice, and I couldn't help but feel my heart ache seeing him like that, stupid compassion making me sad over someone's sadness even when that same person caused me the same amount or even more sadness.

"Thank you." was all I managed to say,

"Here." said Steve, putting a plate of eggs and bacon in front of me and one in front of Nat, the smell made my belly growl in hunger, and I couldn't wait to eat it all, I said a quick thank you to Steve and started eating listening to the morning talks they were having.

The door of the kitchen opened and a guy came in he looked really nice, I don't know, some people just have 'nice' written all over his face.

"Hey Laura." I heard some say while they went out to greet a woman that had entered the room, asking her if she was okay, I got up and walked towards her to introduce myself, I extended my hand and said,

"Hi, nice to meet you I am-" she cut me off,

"I know who you are, you are Mia. It's so nice to finally meet you. I am Clint's wife." she said a big smile on her face and my jaw dropped, excuse me what?

"Laura, very nice to meet you." I laughed a bit embarrassed that Clint didn't say anything sooner,

"Yeah, I am sure he didn't tell you about me did he?" she asked and my eyes grew wide, I nodded my head biting my lips in embarrassment .

"I don't usually come here I just needed to bring some thing to Clint, but I was really happy to know you, hopefully some other time we will be able to chat and get to know each other more." she smiled at me, she is so nice, I smiled back,

"Of course, I'd love that!" I replied to her and let her go to her husband, so I was wrong after all, there isn't anything between him and Nat, my cheeks start to burn in embarrassment and I punch myself internally for ever thinking of the two of them together, after recomposing myself, I went back to sit down on my chair and Thor came next to me,

"Hey Mia, I would need to talk to you after your mission, and also to Fury, there are some things we need to sort out, that don't really make sense to me." he said confusion all over his face and I just furrowed my eyebrows and nodded, with the whole Tony drama I had completely forgotten about how my mother knew him and got to go to Asgard. I brushed the whole thing off my mind trying to concentrate on the mission ahead.

After eating we went to the control room, Tony was the one wiring me up, putting a microphone and hiding it under my nurse blouse.
"Mia, please be careful." uncle Nick told me after turning to all of us and me sitting on one of the many chairs around the round table.
"Mia we have written down some questions for you to ask the guy, try to insert them in medical sentences or be as smooth as possible while asking them." Maria said handing me a paper full of questions.

"What if I can't get to ask him all of the question? I really don't want to compromise anything." I said being nervous again, and I felt Tony's gaze on me which made me more uncomfortable.

"Don't worry, go in there and just play the part I am sure you will be perfect." Steve said giving me a reassuring smile, but still I wasn't reassured at all.

"Mia, we will all be there inside the hospital doing different things. If you need anything just say 'bird' or put the word 'bird' in a sentence and we will call you on your phone and you'll just have to excuse yourself and leave." Peter said smiling a bit too, I really like Peter he always tried to make me feel at ease and I really like that about him, he's also super nice, we always talk a lot and we're always on the same page.

"Thanks Peter. I'll go in there I'll take one of those clipboards and place the paper in it to have the questions with me, I'll place it under another stack of paper." I tell them all, sighing one big breath out, got up and everyone started to pack their stuff to go and make their way to the hospital.

"Mia, can I- just be careful please." Tony said looking down, not even looking at me in the eyes.
"I will and Tony please don't stay like that you're killing me." I said sadness in my voice, I grew tired of this situation.
"I did something awful to you and yet you're the one telling me not to stay like that. What I did was unforgivable." He said and I cut him off, one thing my mom always taught me was to always forgive if you want to be forgiven and even though what he did was bad I could see how truly sorry he was and who was I to stay mad at him as if he had killed someone?

"Tony, I forgive you okay?" I said slowly, thinking every word I was saying, he looked up, finally looking at me, the same look of hurt in his eyes and then he said ,
"You do? You really do?" He asked and I was done with words, because I was also so nervous for the mission that I could've throw up if I ever opened my mouth again at that moment, so I did the next best thing, I opened my arms and hugged him and he hugged me back instantly, I really didn't know that, it was actually something I needed to get my nerves to finally go away. He held me so close I could feel his heart beat and his arc reactor. I slowly got away from his grip a small smile on his face.

"I have to go but please promise me you won't beat yourself up about it anymore okay? I forgave you now forgive yourself." I told him and he sighed a bit, and nodded as I was leaving he caught my hand which made me turn around,
"Be careful please." He said with pleasing eyes, and I nodded and smiled at him as he let go of my hand and I made my way out of the compound.

Now that my head and my heart were lifted off this whole Tony drama I could concentrate on the mission, I hate problems and confrontations, so forgiving was the only options I didn't have the time nor the energy to be mad about something like that.

I entered the car and Nat looked at me.
"You okay?" She asked her hands on the wheel and starting the engine on,
"I'm fine let's go." I told her a smile on my face.