Chapter 54

As I was in my room getting ready to go train with everyone, I heard a weird noise. Like a flicking noise, I looked all around the room and couldn't see anything. But the noise grew louder and I instantly felt my hands glowing.

That's when from the corner of my eye I saw an orange kind of round portal opening, which was the cause of the noise, I took my defensive stance, ready for whatever would come out of it.

"Mia Jones?" I heard a voice say and shortly after the head of a guy that looked young and old at the same time popped out of the portal. I didn't move from my position.

"Who's asking?" I asked, as I approached the portal, and could see he was in a library type of room.

"Dr Stephen Strange." he said flatly, I immediately let my hands fall to my waist.

"Well, you sure did take your sweet time." I said looking at him, and he looked confused, which was kind of fun, a lot of people told me about him and they always said that he was so serious all the time, and well, a party pooper.

"Excuse me? You were actually waiting for me?" he asked again, he looked lost, poor doctor.

"Well a lot of people told me about you, and they told me that eventually you would come to me to introduce yourself. They told me you were part of the avengers, but you were also doing your thing on your own." I tell him walking towards the entrance of the portal.

"Well, I certainly did not see that coming, anyway, now that the presentations have been made, I really need to talk to you." he said, and that's when I understood, that this was more than a courtesy visit to introduce himself, and the whole mood of the room shifted.

"What's wrong?" I said sensing that the feeling I had earlier was true, something was definitely wrong.

"Now, nothing, but the future might not be as peaceful as it is right now." he said and I just took a deep breath knowing that whatever was coming my way would be big. I nodded towards him, signalling for him to go on.

"I don't even know where to begin." he said, I had never seen him, but the man before me looked dead tired.

"I am sure that you know that alternative realities may exist. That whatever we are doing here today in our universe as we know it, may not be what is happening in another universe. even if it is a parallel universe, occurring at the same time everything is happening now. The only difference is, for exemple, moving a single chair in our universe, may have catastrophic consequences in our parallel universe." he said, it sure was a lot for my head but I was trying to follow, so I nodded again,

"Something terrible is going to happen, and from what I gather, you are the only one able to save us, all of us. I still don't know how yet, but I just know you can save us." he said,

"How? I mean, can you tell me more about what is going to happen?" I asked him, I was curious and so nervous at the same time.

"I don't have much time, but you have to trust me!" I nodded again at his words, the urgency clearly present in his voice.

"Just know that all the training, all the knowledge that you gather is not in vain. You are the sole answer and chance of our survival. I wish I could tell you more, but it would have to be in due time, I cannot tell you everything now or else it could jeopardise the whole operation." he said again,

"Operation? Who else is in on it?" I asked him and he just looked at me.
"How do you know all this anyway?" I asked again, and he closed his eyes for a brief second, lazily passing his hand through his hair.

"No one is in on it, and I know all this because, me, from an alternate universe came to me and explained everything. Apparently the me from that universe has explored 4'000'605 realities and only one is the winning one, but that is because our reality is so far off and so far away from theirs that he didn't find us at the beginning." he said, it was so confusing.

"Wait so there is only one way to win?" I asked him,

"Not anymore, with you there's two chances of winning. And trust me, with you, less casualties are involved." he said, which made a lump in my throat form. I nodded in understanding.

"How come they didn't find me in any other realities? I mean if I am here it means that I must exist in the other realities, no?" I asked, feeling dumb for asking so many questions.

"It is said that there is a mother reality, a one true reality that then transforms in all the other millions of realities. The mother reality is rare, and hard to find, it is usually the reality which is supposed to be the best, and have the best versions of everyone and the best outcome in all the problems the universe is facing. It may be that, you are the rarest person on every reality that the me, that visited me, has ever seen and that is why he wasn't able to have you in his, because in his you simply don't exist. Because if you would be in all the realities there wouldn't be anything that you can't solve, you truly are the answer to all the problems. But the more realities there are, the more imperfect they become." he said trying to make science easy for my little brain,

"Okay, so if I am to be able to help and save everyone, will that affect all the realities I am not in?" I asked, it is true that I wouldn't probably be able to travel in other realities, but I still wanted to help and to know if I could do something for them.

"Well all the realities are going to go through the same terrible things the other me went through. Your help, will have an effect on all the realities who haven't been through it yet." he said, I nodded my head again, I was feeling like a bubble head, only nodding.

"So it means that the you that came to you, only found one single way of getting through the whole terrible thing that is going to happen and I wasn't able to help, because it hasn't happened to us in our reality?" I said, and he nodded.

"Correct! Mia, you don't even know, but you are the key to save not only the lives of everyone in our whole universe on this reality, but the lives of everyone in the other realities where it hasn't happened yet." it did give me a boost of confidence but still, knowing something was going to happen but not knowing when and what, was enough to make me go crazy.

"How many people died in the reality the other you came from?" I asked, curious and sad at the same time,

"Too many Mia, too many." I could feel sadness radiating off of him, and I could feel how angry he was.

"You truly are more powerful than anything that has ever lived." he said, I didn't know how to take that, so I took it as a compliment.

"One last question, has this terrible thing started?" I asked, I needed to know how much time I had still in front of me.

"It has, everything is falling slowly into place. Whatever you saw in Loki's eyes, that is a lead. Start there. I will be there to guide you once everything is in motion. Either me or the other me will come to you." he said, and I nodded, I was kind of angry knowing that Loki had something to do with it, and also that I would have to let some things happen before being able to help.

"Mia, one last thing, you are going to loose people. Not the way you think, but you will loose people in this battle, just remember, you are the key, you are the only one who can help, and you will restore all that we will have been losing." and with those last words of wisdom, that were as confusing as this whole conversation, he closed the portal and I was left alone in my room, an gigantic weight on my shoulder and a big knot in my stomach.

I took a deep breath, took in all the scent of vanilla, the scent of my mother, that was floating in the hair of my bedroom. I sensed that she would be with me through it all. The part about loosing a lot of people was terrible to me, I would have to wait and see.

Oh how lonely it was, to know that I was the only one that could help.