Chapter 4

Raevon

Walking out from the front entrance of the college, I pull out my phone that is ringing. The caller is labeled Mother, but I know who it really is. I don't say anything when I answer it.

"Which of James Stewart's sisters were different?" A deep hoarse voice asks, one of the many messages of our organization.

"Mary Stewart. She could write words on a paper without a writing utensil," I answer him.

"Always nice to know it's you who answers, Raevon," he says. I don't say anything, and I can hear him sigh over the phone. "I suppose you've seen what's all over the news," he says.

"It wasn't terrorists," I state. "But that's a good story. Not your best though."

"It wasn't my idea, but anything works if it keeps the public from seeing what's really out there," he says. It's quiet for a moment.

"I should be out there," I say. "I'm ready to do this. I'm ready to go after him."

"You stay put. We've got people on The Greater Good organization. We need you where you are." I clench my fist and sigh. This searching isn't the same anymore. I get more Deviants each time I get in a new place and faster than what I did before. It's not exciting enough. I want something dangerous.

"I can't do this for very much longer, Jacob. You'll have to send me out on the field eventually," I say.

"Your time will come, Raevon. Don't jump into something so quick when it could kill you," he assures me.

"I'll see you in November," I say.

"You plan on running through that university that fast?" He asks. I smile.

"Plan on it," I say, and hang up. The challenge in his voice excites me. I walk back into the college and walk to my class, which I'm late for. When I walk into the large classroom, I offer a quiet apology to the teacher and rush to find a seat among all the staring faces. I see a handsome guy wave at me. His blond hair and brown eyes seem to stick out in the crowd, and he elbows the man next to him, who I realize is the do-me-now smile guy. Shadrach and I smile at each other before I make my way to sit in between them. He ruffles his hair as if to mess it up but it's not long enough to get messed up.

"Hiya," Shadrach whispers to me, a light British accent on his tongue. He holds out his hand. "The name's Shad."

"May Eve," I whisper.

"May," he says as if tasting the name. "I like that." I bite my lip, as if to stop myself from smiling and I look down at my hands as if I'm shy.

"Don't you have a girlfriend?" I ask.

"Shh!" Someone says behind us. I replace my bashful look for a guilty one.

"Sorry," I mouth to the person behind us. I take out my laptop and start listening to the Professor, who is a tall man, doesn't have very much muscle but still a bit attractive.

"Do you mean Clarity?" I hear Shad whisper in my ear. I turn my head only to nearly have our noses touch. His deep chocolate brown eyes have a sexy haze over them, not to mention his deodorant is the sexiest I've ever smelt. "You don't have to worry about her. We broke up last weekend. One of many breakups," he says, his smile is so charming it's almost unreal. "A tad flirting won't hurt us, will it?" He says. I can't keep the smile from my face.

"Absolutely not," I mouth.

"Shadrach!" Professor Miller shouts. The minute Shadrach looks away from me I feel like something is lifted up from me, like a strange comfort was just taken away from me; what just happened between us is a little blurry. Wait, I can't flirt with Shadrach. I need Clarity to like me too, and whatever is going on between her and Shad it's not over. What was I thinking? I knew that the moment I sat next to him. "I will not tolerate interruptions in my classroom. If you and, uh..." he looks at me and I suddenly realize I'm on the spot.

"May Eve Jennings?" I say.

"If you and Miss Jennings will kindly get out of my classroom. Now." He demands. Shad gives him a sarcastic salute before packing up his stuffy.

"Nice one, mate," Jesse says with a thick British accent, just barely thicker than Shad's. He is looking at Shad, clearly annoyed. When he sees me not packing up my stuff, he raises his eyebrows. "You better pack up," he tells me. "Miller ain't talking rubbish." He gives me his do-me-now smile which is all the more captivating with his accent.

"You talk funny," I whisper to him as I gather my things. His smile turns into a grin and all I can think is holy shit! Take me now! I give him another smile before following Shadrach out of the classroom. When the door closes behind us, I put my face in my hands.

"I just got thrown out of my class," I say, as if it actually upsets me.

"Oy, Miller's a wanker. You'll get used to it," he says, ruffling his hair again. We start wandering the hall together.

"So, Jesse's pretty cute," I say.

"Aren't you cheeky? I suppose being his best mate I'll have to set you two up," he says, and I laugh.

"Did you two come to the States together?" I ask.

"Quite. Don't ask me how we got here, or I'd have to kill you," he says. I giggle. A runaway? I think. Or is he an orphan? He is definitely a flirt and clearly a troublemaker. "You weren't here at the beginning of the year, were you?" He asks.

"No, I arrived yesterday. I'm Amee Woods' new roommate," I say, and he raises his eyebrows.

"So, that's how you knew Jesse's name and how you knew about Clarity. Have you had any grub yet?"

"How could you tell?" I ask.

"You look famished. Come on, Cheeky." He grabs my hand and leads me out of a side exit of the building and walks me over to a small coffee shop where we get coffee and a muffin. On the way back I mention how cold it is and he gives me his college sweater. There are multiple food shops surrounding the university estate so the students can have a food break during school and not be so far from their classes.

"How about you meet me for lunch?" He asks me.

"Oh, I'd love to. I'm most interested in Jesse. But I promised that I'd meet Ethan and his friends for lunch today," I say, and he makes a noise of disappointment that I giggle at. When I look at my watch, I realize that my first class is just barely letting out. "Um, I'll see you later, okay?" I say, and I run back to the class.

By the time I get there, the last few people are clearing out of the room. Miller is at his desk talking to a student barely older than me. His whole stand is stern, but when the student walks away I watch his eyes travel down her posterior.

"Professor Miller?" I call and I see him glance at me.

"Yes?" He says, as if bored.

"I'm terribly sorry about earlier. I promise I don't usually behave like that," I say. His jaw is clenched, and he looks mean. I notice that he has a ring mark on his ring finger but no ring and a picture of a woman on his desk. Bad marriage?

"We'll see," he says. I stand there for a moment.

"Is this your wife?" I ask lifting the picture of the woman.

"Ex-wife," he says, taking it from me and putting it in his drawer.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," I say, sad-like.

"What do you want?" He asks. Oh, he's a good teacher, I think sarcastically.

"If there is anything I can do to make up for earlier. I'd love to," I say. I catch him looking me up and down, though I know he doesn't think I know what he's thinking.

"I'll think about it," he says. "Leave my classroom." When I turn to walk out, I can feel his eyes on me. November. I'll have everyone in November.