Chapter 89

Johnny

Arriving in Fairbanks, Alaska, the first thing Jesse and I do is close the blinds to every window, settle everyone in a place in the living room with a blanket, and begin passing out bowls of warm soup. Clint carries Irene into Raevon's room to lay her on the bed, and as soon as Raevon's changed and clean of blood, Amee disappears in the bathroom with Kate, who I haven't had a chance to look at all night. Raevon takes Jesse's place in filling the bowls of soup and us three are huddled near the stove when Clarissa approaches us.

"I have to go," she whispers to us. I look at her.

"Please, talk to Clint," I whisper.

"No, I can't. I've put all my effort into making sure he won't recognize me. It'll be easier for him this way. And please... don't say anything about me after I leave," she says.

"Thank you for helping us," Jesse says. Clarissa and Raevon glance at each other before Clarissa speaks again.

"If you would like, I can arrange for the girl to be buried. Here or in Stonegate," she says.

"Why?" Raevon asks, slightly harsh. I frown at her manner of untrust towards Clarissa when she saved basically all of us. Clarissa looks as if she wants to make a snooty remark but decides against it.

"Because I saw the look on Clint's face when she died. I know they knew each other. I'll do it for Clint," she says.

"Thank you," I say. "She had no family, but Amee, Kate, and Clarity were really close to her. Can we give them a chance to say goodbye?"

"Yes," Clarissa says, nodding her head. "Will one of you two bring her to the chopper afterwards?" She asks Jesse and I.

"I can," Jesse offers.

"Great. I'll be aware of happenings in I.O.E. and I'll give warning to anyone who is sighted," Clarissa says.

"Thank you," I say again. She nods her head before turning away from us and walking out of the apartment. Jesse and I glance at each other, wondering what to do next, when Raevon gives me another bowl of soup to pass out.

"We need rest. Especially you, Jesse. We'll figure everything out in the morning," she says.

"After I send Irene on her way," Jesse says. I glance at Raevon.

"Don't you want to say goodbye to her?" I ask. She avoids my eyes as she fills another bowl full of the steaming soup, but I see her swallow hard.

"She's dead. There's no saying goodbye," she mutters.

"Raevon-" I start, but Jesse makes a noise. I glance at him to see him shake his head. I sigh, feeling as if Raevon needs to talk to someone about what happened, but Jesse is right. Everyone in this apartment is against her and it'd be best if Raevon weren't in the same room as Amee. So, I force myself to turn from her and continue passing out the soup, whispering to those that knew Irene about saying goodbye.

A/N:

Short chapter, but I was really conflicted with how to organize this and the next chapter 😅

Does Johnny seem like the glue that holds the group together or what? 😂