Chapter 58

Kate

It happens so fast. Something crashes into Johnny, slamming him into the door of the car.

"Johnny!" I scream. Then something is there attacking me. The large figure is pressing on me, all dressed in black, the only thing I notice are eyes of murder. Then something glints from the light of the street before this one. My breath catches in my throat as I grab the guy's wrist, words of Amee's coming to mind: If you ever get attacked, go for the throat. Or maybe the groin. And so, I do, slamming my arm into his throat as hard as I can. A loud blast goes off, right in front of my face. I'm left completely deaf for a second but the first thing I hear is my own screaming. A cold breeze falls over me from above and the man grips my throat, cutting off my air. But just as soon, his grip is let go, his weight pulled off me. I lean up on my elbow, coughing and trying to catch my breath.

I look out the door, seeing someone knock their fist into Johnny's side. I scramble out of the car and shove the guy away from him but a different one grabs my hair and pulls me away. I see the gun reflect the light of the street again but before he can pull the trigger Johnny appears next to us as if out of nowhere. He shoves the gun away from me right when it goes off again, causing me to scream and cover my ears. That's when I notice my bright blonde hair. My heart beats faster and harder and I can't catch my breath.

You're in control of your ability, not your ability in control of you.

I take a deep breath, willing my hair to change and fast. Johnny yanks the gun from the man just as the other guy stands from the ground. As he backs away, Johnny pulls the trigger before spinning on his heel, grabbing my hand and yanking me towards the main street before we can see the damage that he caused.

As we break into the light of the street, I get glimpses of my hair, which is a dark brown, but not all the way to its natural black.

"There!" Johnny pulls me towards the town mall, racing past people, forcing our way up the escalators, to the left and into a store. Johnny doesn't seem to notice all the stares and gasps as people see the gun in his hand, he just leads us through the store, and we take shelter behind the cashier's counter. We both gasp, my heart racing. I take one more look at my hair to be assured that it's back to black. We both hear a gasp above us, and we look up to see a startled clerk staring at us.

"Sir," she says, handling her hands out as if to calm us. Johnny looks down at the gun in his hands and I notice his hand shakes slightly. He quickly sets the gun down in front of him.

"Call the police, we were just attacked in the alley way across the street," he tells her. Still with shock and fear in her eyes, she pulls her phone from her pocket. Johnny looks at me. We both still breath heavily. "You didn't know those guys, right? We were mugged?" I swallow hard before shaking my head.

"I didn't know them," I say. But I still can't help myself of thinking of Cassidy. I shiver from the thought. I know neither of those people where her, but could she be having thugs do her dirty work? She didn't do that with my parents. I don't even know why she killed my parents.

Johnny looks at me and wraps his arm around me.

"It'sokay, Kate," he whispers, "the police are on their way." I nod my head but can'tbut think that there is a reason Amee doesn't call the police where I.O.E.'sconcerned. They wouldn't be able to help me.

A/N:

Ugh! These chapters ate so short in sorry!! I just hope they are intense enough that it doesn't matter 😬😬

It's a busy night 😏😜