Chapter 15

Amee

I cover the wound on my leg, which is healing splendidly. I no longer limp. I put the collar of my shirt between my teeth and groan as I pour rubbing alcohol on the wound to stop infection. It's still stinging as I cover the wound with a new bandage. I take a minute to catch my bearings before I clean up all the evidence of my injury and take the sack full of garbage and old bandages outside.

It's a sunny day, with only a few clouds in the distance. I walk towards the dumpsters and toss the sack of garbage in it before turning and walking back. That's when I see a tall, handsome figure walking towards me, and my heart does a small jump. I'd recognize his stride in the dark.

I suddenly become very aware of my body and my hands move awkwardly before I touch the cold rock that lies against my chest. I bring my other hand to my head as if to adjust some hairs. Why am I so awkward?

"Hey, Amee!" He calls before I can reach my building. Did he actually walk all this way seeking me? I look up at him.

"Oh, hey Clint. What's up?" I say, putting my hands down. He steps before me and I get a pleasant whiff of pine. His fiery gold eyes are worn with frustration.

"Can I get some legal advice?" He asks. My heart seems to relax but how come I feel relieved and let down at the same time?

"I didn't know you were big with weed, but my advice would be not to buy It from anyone that's- as Jesse would put it: dodgy. Don't sell it, but if that is your plans than we should get something to eat because this conversation will take way longer. Oh, and be sure to smoke it in a small crowd and steer clear of minors at all cost." A small smile appears on his face.

"Actually, I don't smoke weed. Thanks for the tips though, in case I ever decide to pick it up." I chuckle and feel my face burn.

"Oh. Well, you have no idea how many people come to me asking for legal advice on that subject."

"I don't doubt you. But actually, I need advice more on..." he frown as if he's trying to think of what category it does fall under before her raises his eyebrows, "actually, it very well could involve drugs."

"What?" I say, not being able to stop myself from laughing.

"I'm sorry. Let me start at the beginning. Gracie is getting really close with a guy that goes to The Sin a lot. He has only been in town a few months, but I don't trust him, and Gracie, being so fond of him, I don't want her to get hurt. I feel like he has been taking her to The Sin and I wonder if the people that own it are smugglers of a sort," he explains. It's quiet as I begin to realize what he's telling me.

"The Sin... is a strip club..." I say slowly. His face goes red and he strokes his jawline. I know he did it out of frustration but how come it's the little things that make me smitten by him? All he did was touch his beard!

"Yeah," he says, clearly agitated over the situation, "I know. What would it take to shut it down?" I raise my brows, slightly surprised.

"Oh, I see. Well, do you know for sure if they smuggle drugs?" I ask.

"I know hardly anything," he admits.

"Well, if we want to shut it down, we'll have to do some investigating. It's a little out of my line of work but, hell, it sounds thrilling." On a more serious note, I continue, "and I'll be willing to help what I can with Gracie."

"Thank you..." He stands before me as if he wants to say something else. "What are you doing tonight?" He asks. I can feel my cheeks burn again.

"Um, I was studying just now. But I was going to go to that bonfire that's at Stone Lake later. Were you going?" He shrugs his shoulders.