Chapter 33

Raevon

My hand freezes above my cup. I glance up at Kate, where she walks on ahead of me, still rambling on about Johnny. The image of Amee's blood dripping onto the little dish comes to my mind. Then Desmond's words: You're afraid of betraying Jacob. You're afraid of what he'll do to you if you leave him, and you're afraid that you won't be able to know who you are if you do leave. Jacob has proven time and again how much he trusts me. Loyalty is everything. Jesse comes to my mind. Who are you, Raven?

I drop the tranquilizer into the cup. Someone you don't want to know.

My stomach twists as I force myself to catch up with Kate.

"... and he is so sexy!" Kate says, almost whining. "And I just... it's only been like two days since he left, and I just miss him so much! Am I crazy?"

"You are in need of a drink is what you are," I say.

"I know! But, like I already said! My coconut was empty like three houses ago!" She says, right as I hand her my cup. She takes a good chug. My stomach twists even more.

"Okay, what the hell is with this 'empty coconut' shit that you guys are always saying?" I say, trying to push past the vile. Kate looks at me, bewildered.

"Have you never seen Father Goose?" She asks. I actually have, and I knew exactly where the empty coconut quote was coming from.

"Oh, wait, is that the one with Cary Grant?" I say.

"Yes, but answer my question. Am I completely stupid for letting myself fall for Johnny?" She asks. I step towards her.

"Why would you be stupid?" I ask her.

"Because..." she whines, then plops down on the curb. "... he doesn't know." I sit down next to her, all the alcohol and water I drank since coming here threatening to make a reappearance.

"What doesn't he know?" I ask, but this time I'm not as excited as I was with Amee.

"He doesn't know how much of a freak I am," Kate says, and this time, it isn't any of her mock whining. She is clearly upset about whatever she's talking about. She looks at me with a completely broken expression. "Have you ever heard of the Kate Silver article?" she asks. I shake my head. "Well, you must be the only one," she then holds her hand up and moves it as she says the title, "Thirteen-Year-Old Girl Fantasizes Her Parents' Murder to Cope with Their Suicide." She looks at me as if looking for the reaction. "That is the Kate Silver article. And it says everything." My mouth then parts in shock.

"You're the thirteen-year-old girl?" I ask. She looks at me, studying me.

"It isn't that hard to figure out, is it?" She says. I replay the title in my head again. Is that why she lives so far away from Florida? But she was only thirteen, how come they didn't send her back. "Do you want to know the worst part?" She asks. I look back at her but don't say anything. "They didn't commit suicide. They were murdered." I still don't say anything. Is it still a coping mechanism? I don't think so. After all, I didn't fantasize anything to cope with any shit that happened in my situation.

"You don't think Johnny will believe you?" I form it as a question, but I know that is what she's afraid of.

"No one did. Except Amee," she says.

"Why would knowing your parents were murdered make you a freak?"

"Oh, that's not what makes me a freak," she says, shaking her head, a fearful yet sad look upon her face. She opens her mouth to say something but then shakes her head, closing her mouth. "You'd never believe me if I told you," she says, tiredly. I can tell the tranquilizer is beginning to take its affects.

"Try me." I state. She let's out a laugh, but her eyes are closed.

"I can change my appearance into anything I want," she says. Damn, Jacob would put her ability to use, is my first thought. My second thought goes to the Evolution Vaccine kit that's hidden in my boot. Then a conversation I had with Jacob when I was fourteen: "I don't understand; why do I have to test their blood when I already know that they are a Deviant?" Jacob's reply was simple and made sense: "There is more to the test than simply finding out if the target is a Deviant. How fast does the blood mix with the Vaccine? Not all Deviants have abilities, Raevon, but that doesn't mean they aren't still a threat."

I remove the kit from my boot and work quickly. I watch Kate's blood as it mixes with the drop of the Vaccine. Not as fast as Amee's, but still fairly quick. Then Desmond's words come to mind: "Why? When you already knew she was a Deviant?" My stomach churns.

Kate and Amee, the two girls I like best of all, are both Deviants. I will mark it on the little paper that I have of all the dorm rooms. I don't like people. Pretending to like them is hard. But getting a hint of Amee's past, getting the truth of what happened to Kate's parents, it makes me like them. It helps me relate to them in some way. They consider me their friends. Kate is a good person. She's never killed anyone. I can tell by the innocence in her eyes. And yet my loyalty is to Jacob.

I grab Kate's arm and help her stand. She mumbles a few incoherent words but she's so out of it she'll never remember. I teleport to my vehicle, near the back passenger's door. I had parked farther away from the house purposely because I knew I was going to need to dump Kate here. I open the door and lay her down in the back seat. I stand, staring into her fair face. Her innocent features. They are completely innocent, no matter what she might've experienced in the past. What will happen to her when the agents see the large red X on her bed? More of Desmond's words: "He betrays you ever single day. With every Deviant that you hand to him."

I lean over, away from the vehicle and hurl. It hurts. It hurts my stomach, my throat, my ribs. But most of all, it hurts my conscience.

A/N:

So we are getting a little bit deeper aren't we?

Am I making Raevon suffering enough? Or does she need to suffer more?

Vote comment share!