Chapter 16

Johnny

The only way I can tell how long I've been running is when it becomes a challenge to breathe, and it takes extra focus to stay invisible. I've ran so many laps that I've lost count. Kate and tonight is driven completely out of my mind so it takes all my thoughts to remain unseen while running pass people that are unaware of my presences.

Eventually a sharp pain cuts through my brain and I have to stop in my tracks so I don't appear in a crowd of soccer players. I take a moment to catch my breath before I turn and walk off the track. Still remaining invisible, I walk to my building and to my room. I stop at the door and listen for my roommate but when I'm sure he isn't in, I enter. I finally relieve myself from using my ability and the day's exercising seems to hit me like a boulder. I still can't decide if it's good that I can't feel my muscles ache while I'm invisible or not. I know for sure that I hate the light-as-a-feather feeling, but it does help me to push past my physical limit. I always run faster and longer while invisible than I do while visible.

Checking the time, I see that I have a few hours before six, so I decide to take a nap, worn from exercising myself and my ability since early this morning.

I dream of odd, mixed up things: that I go to dinner with Kate while invisible; May Eve and I get excited over the computer program I'm working on and Jesse walking in and calling her by a strange name and finally Amee getting upset at me for calling her by her name and not another one.

I wake up about an hour before six, feeling refreshed. I shower and dress before walking out and driving my motorcycle to the Bakery Shop where Kate and I agreed to meet.

I order two small drinks and when I reach out to get them from the lady, I realize my palms are sweaty. Does Kate really want to go on this date with me? Or does she just feel obligated to give me a chance because Amee and Clarity fancy us together? I don't think I've ever been so nervous taking a girl to dinner, but it's probably because I never cared for any other girl the way I care for Kate. What will she think of me when I tell her about my ability? That is if we get that far.

I push the thought of that terrifying moment that lies in the future out of my head and turn to take a seat.

I stop with a start and my breath catches in my throat when I see a figure in a bright red dress standing in the doorway. She stands an inch taller because of the black shoes; her jet-black hair falls in curls over her shoulders where it brushes against her chest. There isn't much paint on her face and her blush I can tell is completely natural. Her pink lips form a bashful smile as she runs her fingers through her hair and waves at me, That's when I realize that I'm supposed to do something.

I step towards her and hand her drink out to her.

"Thank you," she says.

"You look amazing," I say. Her blush deepens but as does her smile.

"As do you." I pull a chair out for her and take a seat across from her. It's quiet for a moment as we sip at our drinks. "Is it weird that the rest of our friends aren't here?" She suddenly says. I'm slightly caught off guard.

"Uh, I guess a little bit," I say, pushing my sleeves up to my elbows and my glasses up my nose. I pause. "You don't think I asked you to dinner because of pressure, do you?" She blushes again.

"Well, I'll have to admit that did cross my mine once or twice," she says, running her fingers through her hair. My heart drops slightly.

"Did you accept because of pressure?" I ask. Her eyes go slightly wide.

"I didn't. I was- I was definitely surprised but... I've been interested for a while," she says, looking down at her drink, her blush as deep as ever, but it gives me sweet relief.