Chapter 63

Johnny

"Kate," I call while everyone else heads to the football game. She stops and turns to me. "Can I talk to you for a moment?" I ask.

"Of course," she says, grabbing my hand that's reached out for her. I lead her to the most private place there is around her, which, with everyone having roommates, just happens to be an empty classroom. I turn to her, my heart beating fast, everything Ace told me this morning racing through my mind.

"What is it, Johnny?" Kate asks, looking a little concerned.

"I need to go to Wyoming," I say, "and I want you to come with me." Her eyes widen with surprise.

"Oh. Well, for how long?" She asks.

"Not too long. But I need to go today. We'll have to cancel our classes for tomorrow and possibly Tuesday too," I say.

"Is something wrong with your family?" She asks.

"No. Not with my family..." I swallow hard before looking into her icy blue eyes. "When where you going to tell me about your parents?" I ask. She goes completely pale, as if she's seen a ghost.

"What do you mean?" She asks. I clear my throat and push my glasses up my nose.

"I know your parents were murdered," I say. I see her swallow this time.

"How do you know that?" She asks, her lips set in a thin line. This is the hardest part, but I need to tell her everything.

"That emailer that helped me find my mother. It was-" I start to tell her that it was a mistake, but her face goes red with anger.

"You had him do a background search on me?!" She asks, her voice raising.

"I didn't actually mean to have him search you, I-"

"What?! How can you 'accidently' do a background search on someone?!" She says, her voice still raised. I don't tell her to calm down because I know that I was the stupid one.

"I was wanting to look into Amee, and I guess I mentioned your name somewhere," I say. Wrong choice.

"On Amee?! Are you serious?! Who's next, Johnny? What the hell right do you have to look into people's pasts?!"

"Listen, I know I made a mistake, but it's actually a good thing." My voice begins to raise as well, but mostly out of defense.

"How is this a good thing?!"

"Did you know that there is someone out to kill you?" I ask. Her face goes pale and then back to red. Her stare is intimidating.

"What else do you know about me?" She asks in a deadly whisper. I take a breath.

"Her name is Sabrina Carson, and she recently figured out that you can identify her," I say. She runs her hand through her hair before turning away from me and pacing back and forth. She whips to me and hits me in the shoulder, but from the way she glares at me, I'm surprised she didn't do worse.

"You can't do this, Johnny! You have no right to dig into my past! How would you like it if I found out about all of your secrets!" She shouts. I think of my ability.

"I was planning on telling you everything about me!"

"In due time!" She shouts, interrupting me.

"When were you planning on telling me this?!" I shout back. "Having a damn hitman after you has put me in danger too!"

"It's not the easiest thing to tell!"

"But you lied to me about your ability!" I say.

"Of course! All my secrets are for grabs! Even my ability! When were you planning on telling me that you knew?!"

"I wasn't! I wanted you to tell me!"

"Then why didn't you let me tell you about my parents?!"

"Because you lied to my face about your ability! Did you ever plan on telling me?! Even before we got attacked in the alley?!" She keeps her mouth shut, glowering at me.

"You can't just do this to people, Johnny. How can I ever trust you again?" She asks, no longer shouting.

"You can't keep secrets from me, such has a hitman is after you," I say.

"What did you learn about Amee?" She asks.

"I haven't learned anything yet. Ace said it was too dangerous and that we needed to meet face-to-face," I say.

"Don't. You have no right," she says. It seems to set off a nerve in me.

"Why not? Is a hitman after her too?" I say.

"It's none of your damn business!" She shouts, which doesn't help the nerve.

"I'm going, Kate. Whether you come with me or not. I want you to-" I'm cut off when she shoves me.

"Then go! You're such a jackass! Go to Wyoming, invade people's privacies!"

"I want you to come with me, I don't want you to get hurt," I say.

"I never asked you to protect me! I don't need your help," she shouts.

"You're gonna get killed if you don't come with me!"

"No, I won't! And I'm not your concern anymore because we're done!" My heart slams against my chest with dread but my blood boils.

"Are you effing serious?" I say, no longer shouting.

"I'm not going to be with someone who invades my privacy," she says.

"Don't be stupid, Kate! These people are professionals, they will kill you," I say. She turns from me and walks towards the door. "Kate, stop! Carson could be out there right now, just waiting to see your face," I say. She only glances at me as she opens the door.

"Go to hell," she mutters before walking out. I run my hands through my hair, letting out a frustrated groan. The farther she walks away from me the worse my temper seems to get. I pull out my phone and dial Ace's number. He answers on the first ring.

"Planschanged," I say, "I'm going to Sobibus."

A/N:

Thoughts?