Chapter 19

Clint

I stand in front of the door, hesitant to knock. I can hear her talking to someone in the room. Probably May Eve.

What am I even going to say to her? What was my reason for coming here again? Was it wrong of me to lie to Jesse about going to practice? I probably should've just brought him with because it was actually his idea in the first place to have Johnny do a background search on Curtis.

Someone in the next dorm opens their door and I quickly knock on Amee's door before I look like an idiot.

"Finally!" I hear right when the door opens. Amee then stands there blushing, wearing some short pants and a tank top that doesn't quite conceal her black bra. Her hair is loose and unbrushed but the sight of her still sends butterflies to my stomach. I have to force myself to look away as she quickly grabs a small robe from her bedpost.

"Clint," she says as she covers herself, "hi. I thought you were Kate. She was bringing us coffee."

"It's okay. I just had a thought about Dean Curtis," I say.

"Oh!" She says as she attempts to flatten her hair. She turns to the room. "Irene, I'm going to step out for a second." She closes the door as she steps into the hallway. "Did something happen?" She asks.

"Not really. I was just thinking that we could have Johnny do some research for us," I say. I see her touch the necklace that hangs long enough to be tucked under her shirt.

"What kind of research?"

"Well, you know how he is trying to look for his sister? He has got some experience or connections to look into some dirt on people's backgrounds." Her eyes brighten.

"I see what you mean," she says.

"Is that legal?"

"As long as we aren't doing major hacking it is. And if we find some good juice on him, they won't pay any attention to where we got it."

"I think Johnny is in the computer lab right now," I say.

"Alright. Gimme a minute to get dressed and I'll head over there with you," she says, and she steps back into her room. I turn and make my way to the stairs, Gracie coming to my mind. We had spent the whole night last night in mostly silence because she knew that I didn't care to hear about anything she had to say about Curtis but that was all that was on her mind. She's clearly infatuated with him.

I glance at Amee's door. And I need to admit that Amee was on my mind a lot last night as well. But when exactly did that start happening? Was it before I found out about Gracie and Curtis? Or after? Could I be subconsciously trying to get back at Gracie? Yet, when I had first thought of the idea that Gracie is falling out of love with me, it didn't hurt me like I had thought it would. The thing that really got under my skin was that she didn't even have the decency to tell me what was going on with her feelings and instead continued to waste my time on a dead relationship.

I hear Amee walk out of her dorm and I turn to see her hair brushed and in a high ponytail. She wears a burgundy sweater and dark blue jeans. As simple as it is, I still can't help but admire how gorgeous she is.

"I'm ready. You don't mind if we stop by the Bakery and get a coffee, do you?" She says.

"Oh, um," I say and look down at the coffee cup that's in my hands. I suddenly wish that I hadn't gotten myself one.

"I meant for me," Amee says with a small smile. I can't help but smile back.

"Of course," I say and walk with her out of the building. We stop by the Bakery Shop and I wait by the door as Amee orders her coffee. I notice a plain, older woman sitting at the far table with her hair done up in a tight bun. Everything about her is uninteresting except for the way she stares at Amee. A small look of recognition shows in her eyes.