Chapter 47

Raevon

Starting the night at 12:30 in 1B, Building Four, I don't get very far. After room 3B I have yet to come across a Deviant and I teleport to my car for a replacement in kits. I stash most of them in a hidden compartment underneath the dashboard of the steering wheel. While switching, I notice a small light blinking in the top right corner of my phone. I grab it and switch it on, seeing I have a missed call from "Mother". I call him back and he immediately tests me.

"Who was I.O.E.'s most successful agent in the 1960's?" He asks.

"Archibald Alexander Leach," I say without hesitation, still busing myself with switching the kits.

"There was a valuable package being transported to me that had to pass through Stonegate," he says.

"Let me guess; it wasn't delivered," I say.

"I got word that it was ambushed about a mile outside of Stonegate on route fifty-nine. Deal with it. Make sure I get my package." He hangs up. I roll my eyes as I toss my phone to the side, start up the vehicle and speed out of campus, going around eighty through town until I reach route 59. I drift to a stop right before the obvious wreckage. The road is blocked off by a large fallen tree that must've somehow been pushed out onto the road. The forests on both sides are ignited with small flames that the agents attempt to put out. The vehicle's front wheels are smashed to the sides, too damaged to drive on its own. Two agents approach me as I step out, but I flip my badge at them.

"Agent Knight, I.O.E. Give me the report."

"You failed to inform us of your authority to demand such things," I hear off to the left. I turn to see a young woman, probably barely older than me, approach me, her chestnut hair bouncing behind her in a high ponytail. Even given with the wreck and the small fire going on around her, she still has a high level of swagger in her step.

"I'm here on behalf of General Hyman," I say. Her brow raises.

"You're a little late," she says. I look around at our surroundings.

"You've seemed to handle the situation well enough. I'm just here to get the details on the perps," I say. She smiles.

"Well, thank you. As for the attackers, the one I faced as female, about five-eight, light brown hair, good sense of humor. A well-trained Deviant. I'll have to do some research before I can identify her ability," she says. I glance at the tree and then back at her. She watches my every moved but seems unmoved by my judging eyes. "Oh, yes, and she went by Catwoman. I can only assume that it was Batman and Robin in the forest that helped her escape," she says.

"Any face descriptions?" I ask. I see mischievous thoughts spin behind her eyes before she smiles.

"Nah. But my man over there, Agent Mendoza, was the one that spotted the other two in the forest. You can talk with him as soon as you get us some transportation to the Montana base," she says.

"No need. I'll deliver the package from here." I walk away from her and towards the small group of agents she had motioned to. "Agent Mendoza," I call. I tell figure turns to me, his hair light blond, his eyes a dull gray. He frowns at me with recognition. I'm able to identify him immediately. I glare at him. "You wouldn't still be under the authority of Agent Carson, would you?" I ask as he steps towards me, looking down at me with an agitating bored look.

"No, Agent Knight," he says, mockingly. I don't let it get under my skin. "I'm strictly under General Jedidiah's orders to escort Agent Storm to the Montana base."

"Are you the one that saw the attackers?" I ask. He nods his head once. I look at him like he is dumb.

"I have nothing to tell you. I was on fire when I had spotted them," he says. As if he thinks I don't believe him- which I don't- he turns slightly to reveal his whole left sleeve burnt off. I still don't believe that he was too busy putting himself out not to give me a description, but I don't press any farther. I turn to see the woman approaching me again, this time with a dirty, disheveled boy, not yet 18, in tow with her. She shoves him towards me, but I find myself respecting her when I notice she doesn't treat him as harshly as I've seen. Though, who am I to talk?

"His name is Ryan. He has the Evolution but," she looks at her watch, "it'll wear off in twenty-five minutes. You have some on you?" She asks. I give her a pointed look.

"I don't use Evolution. It defeats the challenge," I say. She chuckles.

"Neither do I, if I can help it. But there is a reason General Hyman wanted his package," she says, almost spitefully. I grip onto the boy's elbow, but he seems too weak to do much. He doesn't even look up at me. A sharp pang goes through my heart. I don't recognize him, but I recognize his type.

"Thank you. I'll send a team out here to clean up this mess and escort you and your team wherever you'd like to go," I say. She nods her head before we walk away from each other. I head towards my car and gently guide the boy into the back seat. I don't say anything else to the agent's before I get into the driver's seat and turn the car around to take a detour out of town.

I just pull off from a dirt road and back onto route 59 ahead of the wreck when I notice that it has been 24 minutes since I had taken charge of the boy. My heart is slamming against my chest with dread but there is no way I will make it to the base in time to hand him over to someone else to inject the Evolution into him. I reluctantly stop the car and remove a syringe and a small container of the Evolution, filling it just enough to give me another twenty minutes to get to the base.

"I thought it defeated the challenge," I hear a faint mutter from the back. I look in the rearview mirror to see that the boy has sat up and is staring at me. I don't say anything as I exit from the front and step into the back, sitting next to him.

"I have bigger challenges right now without having to worry about you, kid," I say. He scoffs.

"You're just scared. You should be. I'd kill you otherwise," he says. But it doesn't phase me. I take his arm. I see multiple puncture wounds which are all signs of carelessness. One even looks infected. I take a small sanitizing bottle from the kit and wipe his arm clean before pressing the needle into his arm with care.

"All of us are dealt a hand in life," I say, pressing a cotton ball to the new puncture wound and holding it in place, "we each need to make something of it. You are clearly not. And that is why I wouldn't be scared of you, even if you had your ability."

"Then why are you giving me this shit?" He asks. I hesitate.

"It's... my job," I say finally. It's quiet for a long moment before I remember myself. I remove the cotton from his arm. "Do you want some water?" I offer. He scoffs again.

"I don't want water," he spits, but his voice is still small, "I don't want anything. I just want to die."

"And so, you will," I say, which causes him to look at me for the first time. His eyes are a dead give away that he's a Deviant, being bright orange. "Give it a month."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because... even a free average person would die if they neglected themselves the way you have." He shrugs his shoulders, his eyes shimmering with tears, which twists my stomach.

"It's the only way-" his voice cracks "-it's the only way out." I don't say anything. Mostly because I know I shouldn't. But a small voice, Desmond's voice, urges me to speak.

"It's the only way you have found. If you keep looking... and start drinking and eating again... you'll find another way," I say. He shakes his head, looking away from me.

"If I ever find that way, I'll be sure that you won't see another day," he says. It still doesn't phase me. Threats never do. I've been hearing them since I can remember.

"That'd be the easy way out for me too, kid," I say.

A/N:

Phew! We are going places with this chapter! Right?

So is Raevon suffering enough, ya'll think? Should I do more? Of course I'm going to do more ;D She's not going to be let off the hook that easily

Vote comment share!