Chapter 22

Raevon

The door opens and Desmond stands there in his pajamas, his hair sticking up at odd angles and he scratches his head, his eyes bloodshot and still half closed. I watch as his bright blue eyes widen when he looks at me.

"Raevon?" He says in a hoarse voice.

"Hi, Dez." I shift, feeling out of place. He doesn't ask any questions though. He grabs my hand and pulls me into his arms. I sigh in relief, letting it all go.

***

My laptop snaps shut before me and I barely have time to move my hands before my fingers get pinched. I close my eyes and sigh.

"No work." Desmond demands. He hands me a hot cup of tea and takes my laptop away.

"If I could be fired, I would," I say, looking up at him. He gives me a large cheesy grin as he sets my laptop on the kitchen table, far away from me. He plops on the couch next to me but doesn't say anything. He doesn't even look at me. I hate this part. "So, what's been going on in your life?" He looks at me like I'm stupid and rolls his eyes.

"I can tell you that I haven't killed anyone," he says.

"Neither have I," I say, firm at first. But then he gives me that same look, seeing right through me. "That I know of..." I quietly add before sipping at my tea. He sighs.

"What'd you come here for, Raevon?" He asks, looking at me. I avoid his eyes as the memory of the last time I was here comes to my mind. After I don't say anything for the longest time, I take a glance at him. He still stares at me. He motions towards his bedroom upstairs. "My shower is free if you feel like crying in it," he says. I don't smile.

"No thanks," I say, setting my tea down and standing up. I try to walk to my laptop but I'm held back. I turn to see Desmond gripping onto my sweater. He forces me to sit back down.

"So, who was it this time?" He asks. I sigh.

"Amee Woods," I say.

"Tell me about her." I shrug my shoulders.

"I can tell you that I didn't have to take the test to find out if she is a deviant."

"Did you still do the test?" He asks. I look away from him.

"Yes," I say.

"Why? When you already knew she was a deviant?" He asks.

"Because it's my job."

"Is it though? Or are you just doing it because Jacob asked you?" He says. I clench my jaw, not wanting to give him an answer. "What were you just doing on your laptop?" He asks. I hesitate by sipping at my tea.

"There is a hacker he wants me to deal with," I say.

"Why did you assign you? Aren't all your type of people computer whizzes?" He says.

"I'm the best one he's got!" I say.

"No, you're not! He's just trying to keep you busy, so you don't go out into the field. He is keeping you from going after the real threats, from going after the real dangerous deviants. Like that Xavier person. Instead, he's got you putting away innocent lives." I shake my head, but he keeps taking. "Does he even realize that the reason deviants are such a threat is because he does what he does to them? And you! How is it that you got so lucky as to be found by him and he just decides to take you under his wing and not turn you into a guinea pig? Though can I call it luck? Because look what he's turned you into!" I stand and begin walking towards my laptop but Desmond beats me there and grabs it. "You don't get to run off that easily," he says with a smirk on his face.

"Desmond, give me my laptop," I say.

"I don't think so," he says with an eyebrow raised.

"You know I can kick your ass."

"You know, I thought we covered that area, and discovered you couldn't," he says with a small smile on his face. My fists clench and I try to make a grab for the laptop, but he reaches it out of my way. "Do you want to try that again? We can always wrestle over it, but I'm half deviant. Just because I don't have an ability doesn't mean I can't match your physical strength. Oh, and I'm also a guy," he says with a ridiculous grin. I mock his smile and try to snatch it from him, but again he holds it out of my reach. "I could break it, too. Remember when I broke you other one?" I fold my arms, irritate.

"I don't need my laptop. I can leave without it," I say. He nods his head.

"Go ahead. I'll see you back here in an hour," he says. I clench my fist and punch him as hard as I can in the arm. "Ow! Son of a bitch Raev!" He says, rubbing his arm. I sigh and sit at his table.

"I don't know what to do Desmond," I say, resting my chin on my arms. He walks to his refrigerator and opens it.

"I think you know exactly what to do. You're just afraid," he says as he pulls something out of the fridge and tosses it to me. I catch it and examine it.

"I'm never afraid," I say as I open the piece of chocolate.

"Yes, you are," he says and takes a seat next to me as I take a bite of the comforting chocolate. "You're afraid of betraying Jacob. You're afraid of what he'll do to you if you leave him, and you're afraid that you won't be able to know who you are if you do leave." It's quiet for a minute.

"Jacob is a great man. He doesn't deserve to be betrayed."

"Yes, he does," Desmond says, as if it's that simple. "He betrays you ever single day. With every deviant that you hand to him."

"He saved my life," I say.

"No, he stole it. What were you doing when he found you?" He asks. The image of seeing Jacob for the first time comes to my mind. "You were on your way here. To me." Desmond answers for me. I don't say anything. "He took an innocent girl... and turned her into a murderer." My throat tightens and my eyes begin to burn. Desmond reaches out and touches my shoulder, and then my neck. He pulls me to him and kisses my forehead. "It's not a question of if you're going to leave him. It's a question of when."

A/N:
Yay! Isn't this so exciting? You finally get to know more about Raevon and not May Eve!

Theories on Desmond? I'm afraid that he won't be in the story for very long 😪😏

Thoughts on who Jacob is?