Chapter 83

Johnny

Kate stands before me but she's not mad or hurt. She seems perfectly fine, wearing the last thing I saw her in. She looks at me with slightly urgent eyes.

"It isn't going to work, Johnny," she says.

"What isn't?" I ask her, afraid that she's referring to us. Why won't we work? It's stupid if it doesn't because things will never be the same after this. Kate and I will always be on their radar, we'll always be hunted down. We need each other.

"It isn't going to work," she repeats, but she doesn't seem upset.

My eyes open even through the grogginess. I sit up and look at the kitchen where one of the woman pouring herself some coffee. I assume it's Clarissa because of her height. Jesse enters through the elevator at that moment, and he walks towards me. He pulls out a baggy with a new pair of glasses that look similar to my old ones. I thank him, since it's only safest to have him or Clarissa go out of the apartment for us. Mine and Raevon's face would draw too much attention from I.O.E.

"I got it, by the way," he says. I know exactly what he's talking about. Vincent was left on the side of the road when I crashed and it's still the few connections I have left with my father.

"Is it here?" I ask him, putting the glasses on. My vision instantly improves.

"I wasn't sure if I could teleport it here or not, but I remember you saying something about where your property in Shadowfen was," he says. "I drove it there and Henry seemed more than happy to save it for you."

"Thank you," I say, grateful that it is still in Wyoming. I still plan on going back for my brothers after this is all over with, whether Kate decides to join me or not. I get up and dress in the new clothes that Jesse got the other day and meet the rest in the living room. Raevon sets the plans of the base down on the coffee table before us.

"I just got notified that Amee's interrogation will be tonight," Raevon says. "It'll be done on level 0D, which will benefit us. We'll be able to free any Deviant on that level before making it to 0C. But this is all underground, so we'll need to get past four floors before we even get a chance. As soon as we are on the ground floor, we still have to pass the patrols. It won't be easy." We all stare at our challenge on the plan. Raevon rubs her temples, reminding me of Irene. "It'd be so much easier if everyone had invisibility," she says, but I know it's just wishful thinking.

"I can turn other people invisible," I say. "It takes some extra concentration but it's possible."

"That only leaves you and Jesse and two people on each side of you," Raevon says. "There are exactly ten Deviants on level 0D, not including Amee, and sixteen Deviants on level 0C, also not including Amee."

"That isn't very much," Jesse says. I notice he speaks in a softer tone than usual when he says this to Raevon.

"Yeah, well... They don't last forever," Raevon says.

"The quickest way to transport them somewhere safe is to fly. I have a helicopter that will come in handy for that," Clarissa says.

"Jesse and I can also teleport them if needed but making multiple trips back and forth will be too exhausting. It's best if you waited somewhere on the other side of Stonegate, so you don't get compromised," Raevon says.

"Is it possible to teleport them from out of their cells?" I ask. Raevon looks up at me, her eyes concentrating.

"Not likely. The cameras would see, and Jacob would catch on much too quickly." I see her glance at Jesse before quickly looking back at me. I don't yet accept her excuse.