Chapter 9

Amee

Clint stands at the far end of the room close to Jesse, looking extremely put out. I frown, wishing that I was tipsy enough to gather the guts to speak to him, but at the same time glad that I'm not. He has a girlfriend and I'd no doubt make an idiot of myself. I have no trouble coming up with the courage to ambush an I.O.E. vehicle but when it comes to talking to my crush, I completely crumble.

I glance over at Kate, who stands next to me swishing only her second drink of the night, but I see her peek up towards where Johnny stands, talking to a pretty girl. She blushes and runs her hand through her hair before looking away. I lean in towards her.

"If it's any consolation, he doesn't look interested," I whisper to her. She gives me a small shy smile before I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn back to see that one of my classmates are still talking to me about the last test we had. "Hey, Jake, will you excuse me for like two seconds?" I ask as politely as I can. I tug Kate away from him and into a corner where Johnny's still in sight and we can't be overheard.

"Come on, Kate. Will you talk to him?" I urge her. Her cheeks become redder and shakes her head before snorting.

"Oh, what would I even say? Besides, he's right in the middle of a conversation," she mumbles.

"So was I, but I didn't let that get in the way of something more important. I can't stand you two like this." She covers her face and shakes her head.

"No, Amee. I didn't tell you, but I made such an idiot of myself on Wednesday," she says, and my interest is piqued.

"What? What'd you do?"

"Well, he came into the shop and we were talking, and I ran my hand through my hair and got flour all in my hair! It was so humiliating!" I bite my tongue, and then my lip to keep me from laughing but eventually I can't hold it in any longer. She glares at me.

"You've got nothing to worry about! He probably thought that was really cute! You two will have something to laugh about," I say, and she rolls her eyes. She runs her fingers through her hair and glances back at him. I clear my throat, "listen," I say in a more serious tone. She turns back to me with a serious expression. "I've got to go," I say. Her eyes widen.

"Are you kidding?!" She whispers. "No way, that cut on your back hasn't even healed yet and I thought you said that you were going to take a break for a few weeks."

"I know, but my phone just notified me- listen, I've got to go," I say, and she gives an exasperated sigh.

"You don't have to do-"

"Please cover for me. And please talk to Johnny. It's almost eleven so if you guys talk right now, I'll win the bet with May Eve," I say. She gasps.

"What bet?!" She asks but I just smile at her.

"Thanks a ton," I say, pulling her in a tight hug and making my way out of the crowd. I begin jogging towards Building One and when I'm completely out of sight of everyone I run the rest of the way.

When I reach room 23B I duck under my bed and reach to the far corner and grab the small black duffle bag and pull it out. I unzip the bag and remove my CZ 75, check how many bullets are left in the clip and then grab the three extra magazines. I quickly change into a simple white tee, throw on my aramaki hood and gloves and switch my pants for plain black ones.

I shove the bag back under the bed and approach the window. After opening it I make sure no one will see me as I climb down the building. As soon as I reach the ground, I sprint towards the forest.

I reach the bunker in less then half the time I reached it on Monday. Before I reach the big boulder, I imagine pressing my hands against it and I create an opening for me so I don't have to stop. I run down the stairs, avoiding all the rocks and enter the tiny room under the stairs.