Chapter 14

Kate

Again, the door stares at me, prompting me to open to. I take a deep breath and reach out for the nob. I know what's coming. Maybe I can do something differently this time, I think. I shake uncontrollably as the door swings open, my mother and father drowned in their own pools of blood. I stifle a gasp. I'll never get used to it.

My knees shake so much that I fall at their feet.

"Please," I beg as I see the unmistakable movement of Cassidy approaching my father, "why are you doing this?" She sets the gun in my father's dead hands, hands that probably aren't even cold yet. She looks at me and smiles.

"I'm coming for you, Kate," she says in that mockingly calm voice.

I jerk awake, shivering and sweating. I take a long moment to slow my heart from beating my chest. I finally let out the last breath of air and look at my clock. It's too early to get up but I'm too scared to attempt to go back to sleep.

It's Wednesday, which means that Amee has two evening classes, so she usually does her training in the morning. I quietly push my bedding off me as to not walk Sarah. Ice cold air hits me hard, making me want to forget it but I push past the urge and dress warmly.

The air this time of the day is ice-cold and I have to pull my coat tighter around me as I make my way through the campus grounds and towards the forest. After hiking what seems like miles, I finally reach the creek that I find sturdy rocks to use as a path across. The ground below me is wet from the recent rains and above me thick dark clouds block the light of the moon.

I finally see the gloomy shape of the bunker entrance and pick up my pace right before my foot catches on something and a loud bang goes off right by my ear. I let out a short scream, ducking to the ground while covering my head. Breathing hard, I take a peek between my arms to see where the gunshot came from, but the forest darkness is too dense to see very far.

"Amee?" I call. When nothing happens, I slowly stand, glancing around. "Amee?!" I call out again.

"Kate?" I hear. I spin towards the entrance to see Amee standing there. I exhale with relief.

"What the hell was that?" I ask her as she approaches me. She smiles.

"My alarm warning me someone is coming. I suppose I should've told you I set one when I started my business," she says. I nod my head. I still have no idea what she's doing that's getting her all these wounds and bruises but I'm not going to pry. I know it involves her using her abilities and I'm not going to get mixed up with it. She motions me to follow her into the bunker. She leads me past all her boulders that she's collected, down the flight of stairs and into the small room under the stairs.

"You're not training?" I ask her. She's only brought me in this room a few times because anything that's in here I'm not going to care to understand. Though it's been so long I'm able to notice that she's pinned more stuff up to the billboard and her desk with the computer on it has more papers.

"No, just observing," she says as she organizes the papers on her desk. The computer shows a map on Stonegate with a red blinking dot that's moving along what looks like the main highway through town. "What's up," she asks, looking at me suspiciously. I shake my head and she returns to what she's doing, knowing that I'll tell her when I'm ready. I wander around the room, glancing at the billboard every now and then, examine the large map she has and the small pictures along side it. I step towards it, examining the picture of an evil looking bald headed man. Next to it is a small paper labeled "The General" with a large question mark. Those are the only two pictures that I recognize from last time I was in here and they still mean to me now as much as they did then: nothing.