Chapter 18

Jesse

Clint takes a seat on the chair across from me looing extremely put out. He gives me a look before drinking his coffee that causes me to wonder how his might with Gracie went.

I glance at Shad, who is sitting next to me with a large chip on his shoulder. Is there a polite way to tell someone to shove off?

Before I get a chance to find out, Johnny walks through the Bakery Shop door with a wide smile on his face. I smile inwardly as he sits down next to me. His date with Kate must've went well.

"It's a beautiful morning, isn't it?" He says, not noticing the other two grumpy guys next to him.

"Why don't you just rub it all in my face?" Shad says with an unusual amount of sarcasm. Even for Shad. Johnny looks slightly shocked, but I don't think even these two could ruin his day.

"What?" Johnny says innocently.

"Not everyone's love life is as smashing as yours," Shad says. Johnny's eyes go wide.

"Who pissed in your cheerios?" He asks, but the next moment the smile is back on his face as he stands. "You know, you're probably right. I shouldn't be rubbing my new, perfectly wondering relationship with Kate in all your faces. So, I'll just take off and skip about the campus." He walks out with still the widest smile. I look at Clint and Shad.

"We are a gloomy bunch, aren't we? I say.

"Ah, bleeding hell," Shad says before standing and walking out.

"I think Gracie and I should break up," Clint says, almost immediately after Shad walks out. I'm not even shocked.

"I think that's a smashing idea," I say. Then a thought comes to me and I lean forward. "Would this be because Gracie is doing the dirty with a man her father's age or..." Clint rubs his chin, seemingly in deep thought.

"What do you know about Amee?" He asks. I lean back, satisfied that I was right in guessing there was another woman on Clint's mind.

"I wouldn't know, mate. You should ask Johnny. He and Amee seem to be like peas and carrots," I say. Clint frowns in thought and leans forward.

"You don't think he and Amee have a little thing going on, on the side, do you?" He asks. I almost laugh.

"Are you bloody kidding? Have you seen Johnny around Kate? He's completely daft."

"Yeah," Clint says, nodding his head. "You're right... That doesn't seem like Johnny anyway." He gathers his things and stands. "I gotta make it to practice," he says.

"Cheerio," I say as he walks out. I sit there for a minute thinking about our conversation while I stir my drink. Then I frown. Do Johnny and Amee shag on the side? Amee is a massive flirt. Maybe I should mention something to Clint...

I shake my head and stand. As I walk out the door, I spot Kate walking towards the Bakery Shop with her head down but a wide smile on her face, similar to Johnny's. This time I can't help but smile. She runs her fingers through her hair as she looks up and spots me. Her face goes pink but the smile still stays.

"All right?" I say, with a small knowingly smile.

"Hi," she says. I motion to the Bakery.

"I'm sorry to say but you just missed Johnny." Her blush deepens.

"Oh, that's okay. I was just going to get all the girls a coffee. They are pretty hungover." She says. Before I can reply, I watch her eyes glance behind e and her manner changes. All the color drains from her face, leaving her fair complexion as white as a sheet. Her breathing becomes unsteady and fast.