Chapter 68

Johnny

I don't see Jack and Joey at my hotel that day, or the next. I report that I lost my key card which is replaced easy. I actually don't see them for a couple of days, and I begin to get worried that Anderson has stopped them. Del doesn't try to get a hold of me during this time either and I begin to feel as if I'm going crazy. I don't want to leave the hotel for too long in case Jack and Joey do end up showing up, but my room starts to feel like a prison of my own thoughts, Kate being every other thought. I can't tell if my heart lurches out of anger or misery. Whoever thought I could miss her so much? And just the day before she was officially my girlfriend.

I think multiple times of calling her or messaging her, but that just reminds me that she hadn't tried to get ahold of me either. I know I was in the wrong in the first place, researching both hers and Amee's names but... The more I replay everything in my mind the more I am convinced that she never planned on telling me anything.

I glance at my phone, aching to call her. What if she hasn't gotten a hold of me because Sabrina Carson has finally gotten her?

I grab it, forcing it into my jacket pocket and storming out of my room, my chest pressing in, beginning to feel claustrophobic. I know she's not dead, I know she's not missing. On of the guys would've told me, even if they did end up finding out that we are no longer together.

I walk out of the hotel, freezing in my tracks towards Vincent. Jack and Joey both stand by it, their own bicycles in their hands next to them. They glance at the road with fear, Jack watching each car pass by. I take I deep breath, finally able to relieve my mind from Kate for a short time. I take a breath before I continue walking towards them.

Joey spots me first and hits Jack in the arm. I offer them a small smile, not sure how I can start a conversation with them. They don't seem to be able to know how to start a conversation because they both just stare. I decide to settle with pathetic small talk.

"This is Vincent," I say, motioning to the bike, "a Vincent Black Shadow nineteen-fifty-four."

"Are you really our brother?" Joey suddenly blurts out. I can't help but chuckle.

"Yes," I say.

"How come our mom's never told us about you?" Jack asks. I sigh, pushing my glasses up my nose.

"She never told you about Jenny either, did she?" I ask.

"Who's Jenny?" Joey asks. I pause for a moment.

"She's our sister. She died before Mom knew she was expecting Jack," I say.

"Why show up now?" Jack asks. I shrug.

"I only recently found you guys," I say. I see them both glance at the road again before looking back at me. "You two aren't supposed to be here, are you?" I ask. Joey shakes his head, causing Jack to nudge him in the foot. "It's alright. I don't plan on telling Del or Anderson." I glance at the road myself, before looking back at them. "Why did you two decide to stop by today?"

"Dad works late on Fridays, but Mom is still expecting us home. She knows that we like to stop at the gas station on Fridays," Jack says. The question that I'm dying to figure out comes to my mind, but how would I be able to straight out ask them if they have an ability? I had barely turned nine when mine developed, which would mean that both of them, if they have any, could already have developed some ability.

"Was... was Jenny Dad's kid?" Jack asks. I shake my head.

"Mom left my father when Jenny was still a baby. She got full custody of Jenny and my father got full custody of me," I say. I glance at Joey to see him admiring Vincent. "It belonged to my dad," I say. He looks up at me.