Chapter 74

Jesse

It's different now. Everything is. I can't even bring myself to look at her. Did she just sleep with me to distract me? Was I in the way? Would I have seen it all go down otherwise? I was fooled, just like everyone. It wasn't love that was surrounding us. It becomes so hard to breath that I force the door open and step out, breathing in the fresh air. It helps me think.

I look around the campus parking lot but there is nothing different. I was probably too distracted to notice anything happening.

I run my hands through my hair before I turn and start jogging to building one.

"Jesse, stop!" She shouts after me. I turn to see her standing near my car. In that moment I could strangle her. I supposed it's a good thing I don't have Amee's ability because I wouldn't be able to control it. I turn back to the building. "It's too late," she says. I hate how calm her voice is. But she doesn't know that I know where the Montana base is. I turn back to her.

"It's not too late for them. Only for you." I turn and start walking towards building one again. I have to see. I have to make sure that Amee is gone. I hear her rush to me.

"Jesse-" she touches my arm, but I jerk it away from her. I whip around, grabbing her biceps.

"I should kill you," I growl. Her face is pale, but my threat seems to give her strength because she doesn't try to shrink away from me. She doesn't even look away. Her shocking green eyes stare back at me with determination.

"And so you should," she whispers. "But you can't save them without my help." But I wouldn't think about trusting her again. I shove her away from me.

"Get away from me. Go to wherever it is you belong." I turn from her, but she says something that stops me from pressing forward.

"There is a reason I marked you as human," she says. I slowly turn to her. She stands tall, brave. "I know you have an ability, Jesse," she whispers.

"You don't know anything about me," I say.

"I know that you know more than you should, otherwise you wouldn't have understood half of what I said," she says. My fists clench, stopping myself from doing something I know I'd regret. Did she plan this out from the beginning? My mind is still trying to process everything that I'm not even sure what to do or say. I don't have Amee's ability, and I won't be able to get it. But I need to know everything Raevon knows. But how can I trust her? Is there some way I could use her as a trade? All I need is Amee and together we'd be able to free every single captive.

I can't ever trust Raevon again but why can't I use her? Just like she used me? Even looking at her makes my blood boil. I've never come so close to wanting to hit a woman before, but can I even consider her that? She's a monster... just like she said.

"Why did you do it?" I ask, knowing from the way she confessed in the car she must have some remorse. "Where in that sick, effed up brain did you get yourself to turn these innocent people in? Or is the crying an act too? Why didn't you turn me in?" I recall when she had told me of the nickname she had for me back before she knew my name. It turns my stomach and I feel sickened at what we did together just a few moments ago and how innocent she made it seem. I turn away from her, again feeling the urge come over me to hit her.

"Jesse..." she whispers. I look at her to see her struggling like she was in the car when she told me the truth. "I gave Jacob the assignment out of impulse. I knew what I had to do the moment I returned to campus... But in order to do what needs to be done I need your help. I also need you to trust me because if Jacob gets even the slightest thought that I've gone rogue, he'll have every agent in the system aware of my betrayal."