Chapter 49

Raevon

I look at the paperwork of building four, irritated that I had to stop in the beginning of my work again last night. At least on the night of the twenty-first I stopped to go into some sort of action, though that was disappointing in itself. How does Jacob expect me to ever get out of this damn college if he calls me away for minor things? Unless... is he trying to prolong my assignment here?

I frown. Does he really think sending me on errands like bringing him a particular Deviant or tracking an escapee? And the tracking ended in a flop. It seems to boil my blood.

A knock at the causes me to jump and I grab the large yellow envelope that's next to me and tuck it into the package as I tell the person to come in. Kate opens the door looking a lot like the first time I had seen her, her black hair flowing behind her and her icy blue eyes almost glowing. She smiles at me and I smile back.

"I passed by Miller's class and noticed you weren't in there. So, I brought you a coffee," she says. My smile widens.

"Thank you," I say as she hands me one of the cups in her hand. She sits next to me, running her fingers through her hair. I see her eyes glance at me for a second before looking away.

"Okay, what's on your mind?" I ask. She chuckles before turning to me.

"I just... I just started to remember a lot of what happened that night we had walked on route 59," she says. My breath catches in my throat, but I take a slow drink of my steaming coffee to cover my reaction.

"My thighs still ache from how far we walked," I lie. She chuckles.

"It's still really blurry. I still don't remember being carried by Jesse, but I remember a lot of what we talked about..." She says, and I notice her glance at me again.

"You mean about your parents?" I form it as a question, but I know what she's getting at.

"Yeah... um... do you remember everything?" She asks. I nod my head.

"It sobered me up quite a bit," I say.

"Yeah, I suppose it would do that with anyone... Um, you haven't told anyone have you?" She asks. My stomach twists. No one but my files.

"I would never," I force out, my throat becoming dry. She looks me straight in the eyes now.

"Do you believe me?" She asks. This is where I get stuck. I do absolutely believe her. After telling off Agent Carson there's no doubt. But May Eve wouldn't believe her. I nod my head. It's too hard right now. It's too hard to hide the truth, even though I should. Lying would hurt Kate. It would build up her wall against me, and that's what I'm supposed to do. I already know she's a Deviant, I don't need her anymore. I don't need her friendship. But I want it.

"Of course," I choke. I force myself to look into her eyes. "And I promise I will never tell anyone." My stomach churns so much that I'm glad she looks away as I try not to throw up.

"Thank you, May Eve. It's really personal, and most everyone wouldn't believe me anyway. Especially about my ability."

"Ability? Is that what you call it?" I ask, losing my appetite for the coffee.

"Yeah. But I'm not using it right now," she says. She runs her fingers through her hair again. "Do... do you think I'm a freak?" She asks. I'm slightly caught off guard by the question. Freak? That's right, she does think of herself as a freak. The next thing I say is easy, because I believe every word of it.

"No, Kate. I don't think you're a freak at all. It's as you said: it's an ability. Not a disability." Her brows frown in thought as a light seems to go off in her eyes.

"I've never thought of it that way before," she says. It's quiet for a moment but she speaks again. "I should go. My class is in about ten minutes." She stands and walks to the door but stops with her hand on the doorknob. She turns back to me. "You're a great friend, May Eve. I'm really glad I know you," she says. I don't say anything because I can't, so she smiles and walks out.

I rush to the bathroom, barely being able to lift the toilet lid before I vomit all I have in my stomach. I lean back, trembling, replaying her words in my head, but with a different name. You're a great friend, Raevon. I'm really glad I know you.

My phone buzzes, but I don't look at it. I know who it is, and I know what he wants. The escapee is still in Stonegate and I have to finish the assignment.

A/N:

Short chapter, I know but sort of deep right? :D

Vote comment share!!